Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Terrible battery life on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

I love this phone in every way... Especially some of the cool features like air gesture that come with it. However most of the time I can't even use these because I am worrying about this phone's battery life. I have seen other battery problem threads and the suspected solutions for battery life. I have tried all of these that I could and nothing works. Before I upgraded to kitkat, I was rooted on jellybean so I could use some tweaker apps like "pimp my rom" and "android tweaker 2." these did little to nothing.

I usually fully charge my phone overnight so when I wake up in the morning it is at 100%. After doing normal morning "stuff" I play on the phone for about 20-25 minutes and the battery drops to about 92. To be specific the screen is on the whole time and it is usually clash of clans. Most of the time I don't touch the phone again until an hour later and the battery has already dropped about 5-6 percent. On top of this drain the phone gets really hot especially when playing games. It always seems to be a little warm when idle

Just to give more information. I have applied a few tweaks already:
    1. I have disabled Samsung push service
    2. All features available on the quick setting menu are disabled except for mobile data and wifi.
    3. I have set location to power saving mode.
    4. I have disabled some other bloatware

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Terrible battery life on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

If case if you wanted battery stats... (I can get better ones tommorow)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrible battery life on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4-1400045228797.jpg   Terrible battery life on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4-1400045242303.jpg  
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Here are some updated stats

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrible battery life on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4-1400111617983.jpg   Terrible battery life on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4-1400111627704.jpg  
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I now realize that this isn't terrible... But is there any way to improve it?

Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ickycoolboy1 View Post
    is there any way to improve it?
    Switch off every feature you don't need when you don't need it. Like Bluetooth (most of the time), or WiFi when you're driving or generally outside, or, important, when you're in malls, plazas, and high streets, or GPS when you're not driving. Etc.
    That stuff keeps 'checking in' all the time draining your battery.

I just began having battery issues with this last OS update a few weeks ago. I have since discovered the problem appears to be in the Instagram app. Force stop and no issues. Reactivate it and fast drain. Any ideas why? Oh and all non essential apps are gone or deactivated.

Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Vsweety View Post
    Switch off every feature you don't need when you don't need it. Like Bluetooth (most of the time), or WiFi when you're driving or generally outside, or, important, when you're in malls, plazas, and high streets, or GPS when you're not driving. Etc.
    That stuff keeps 'checking in' all the time draining your battery.
    Thx for the tips, but unfortunately this is my normal routine. Don't you think though that since we get all these features on this phone, shouldn't we get to enjoy them?

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by J Ervin Bates View Post
    I just began having battery issues with this last OS update a few weeks ago. I have since discovered the problem appears to be in the Instagram app. Force stop and no issues. Reactivate it and fast drain. Any ideas why? Oh and all non essential apps are gone or deactivated.

Posted via Android Central App
    There are two possible solutions to this.
    1. Get an app called greenify, (you don't need root) and greenify instagram. I do not know if you are rooted or not, but if you aren't, check every once in a while to make sure it is still greenified. (you will have to do this every time you exit the app)

2. The second, easier option is to go in the app instagram and disable all notifications (I know you won't be notified of new occurrences, but this should prevent the app from using the cpu in the background.

Good luck