Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't Sync Contacts

Trying to sync my phone's contacts to my gmail is driving me insane. I feel like this should be very simple. I've read instructions from several websites and forums, followed them, and my phone says my contacts have been synced to gmail. My phone has hundreds of contacts, when I look at my contacts on gmail I have 10.

I don't know if this matters but when I got my S5 and synced from my google contacts I only got 10 contacts. The guy at the store had to connect my old phone to it with a hard wire and transfer all the contacts. I want to back all of them up so this doesn't happen next time I get a new phone, but it seems to only want to sync the same 10 contacts. Also when it tries to backup my wifi passwords, it backs them up from my gmail (which has none) to my phone. So every time it syncs I have to re-enter my wifi password. Why can't I sync my wifi password TO my gmail account, and backup my contacts? Also, I want ALL of my phone contacts to be on my gmail account. Not just the 10 that have always been there.

I really hope someone can help with this. I've spent hours doing what every how-to guide tells me to. They have very simple instructions but they don't result with all of my contacts being on my gmail account.

Default Re: Can't Sync Contacts

Welcome to Android Central! It may be that the majority of your contacts were saved to the "Phone Account," rather than a Google account. The Phone Account is often the same as saving a contact to a SIM card (although this option was also available on older Verizon phones that didn't have SIMs). The problem with saving a contact to the Phone Account is that it doesn't sync to anything, unless you use a 3rd party syncing app (like Verizon's Backup Assistant Plus, for example).

To find out if a contact is saved to your Google account or the Phone Account, open the People app on your phone, select the contact, and edit it. The account it belongs to should be at the top. If all of those contacts are in the Phone Account, then you could try exporting those contacts and then importing them into your Google account. More details here: [GUIDE] Getting Started with Android (2014), Part III: Managing Contacts

If those contacts are truly in a Google account, make sure they're in the same Google account as those 10 contacts that successfully synced. Also, go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account]​, and make sure Contacts is checked.