Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T Phones And StraightTalk

First off, I've been reading a few threads here that I located in a Google search, and have a general understanding of what I may or may not need to do, but figured it would be in my best interest to ask specific questions, even if it means that I'll get flamed by the "use the search button" crowd.

Here's the situation: My wife and I dumped Verizon Wireless about a year and a half ago and went to StraightTalk. Since we had good reception in our area, we chose phones that used Verizon towers (AT&T and Verizon are pretty much all there is around here). Now we are thinking of upgrading from our current 3G service to 4G LTE. From speaking with a girl at the local Wal-Mart wireless center, we can buy one of two phones they carry (the Samsung Galaxy Express being the better of the two) and replace the SIM card with the StraightTalk one and have service. Now for the questions:

1. Are there other AT&T Android phones that will work with StraightTalk besides the two they are trying to sell us?
    2. Does the phone need to be unlocked to work on StraightTalk?
    3. If so, what is a REPUTABLE source of the unlock code?
    4. If I end up having trouble with sending/ receiving pics (sales girl warned me of this), I assume from reading here that I'll probably either need to wait until my first billing cycle is up or purchase a new SIM?

Thanks for any insight, and please be gentle on a newbie.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: AT&T Phones And StraightTalk

Since this thread was a bust, I just decided to play it safe and buy the Samsung Galaxy Express and use it on GoPhone.

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Default Re: AT&T Phones And StraightTalk

For your futur knowledge, in case you decide to upgrade to a better phone:
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Madness View Post
    1. Are there other AT&T Android phones that will work with StraightTalk besides the two they are trying to sell us?
    Yes. ANY AT&T phone will work with a Straight Talk AT&T SIM.

2. Does the phone need to be unlocked to work on StraightTalk?
    Straight Talk sells 2 SIMs - AT&T and T-Mobile. An AT&T phone will work with an AT&T SIM (regardless of who the network operator is), and a T-Mobile phone will work with a T-Mobile SIM - without being unlocked. If you want to use a T-Mobile phone with a Straight Talk AT&T SIM (IOW, on AT&T towers), it has to be unlocked.

3. If so, what is a REPUTABLE source of the unlock code?
    Check eBay.

4. If I end up having trouble with sending/ receiving pics (sales girl warned me of this), I assume from reading here that I'll probably either need to wait until my first billing cycle is up or purchase a new SIM?
    No, you'll need to set the APN to the settings on the card that comes with the SIM. You can do that now, after you get your bill, never ... it's your choice. But if you have the incorrect APN, you have no internet connection and texting pictures is data and needs an internet connection. (If it were me, I'd use the fact that you can't send and receive pictures as an excuse to cancel the deal, then go out and buy the phones you really want.) BTW, the "sales girl" sounds as if she knows less about cell phones than the people at Straight Talk's customer service number do - and they barely know what a cellphone is. Great price, good coverage if you choose the right carrier - but if you need help use their Facebook page. The ST people there actually know what they're doing. The people at the CS phone number need 5 more clues to be totally clueless.