Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By tess1977
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help Needed! Phones to consider & phones to avoid!

Hey All!

My parents are going to be switching back to Verizon from US Cellular tomorrow. Can any of you knowledgeable & helpful people tell me what they should look at and what they should avoid?

They have had Android phones for at least 2 years now. Much to my dismay, my Dad will probably be getting an iPhone. But my Mom & Sis will be going with an Android. I was suggesting the S5 but I'd love feedback!

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    22,222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Help Needed! Phones to consider & phones to avoid!

I would say either the Moto X, S5, M8,or the LG G2.

Of all of them I would say the Moto X.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x likes this.

Global Posts
    5,970 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

1) Make sure that Verizon has solid coverage everywhere they'll need a phone. That's much more important than which phone to use. The best phone, with no coverage, is about as useful as a small rock. I had a great phone when we moved. It was with Sprint. There's absolutely zero Sprint coverage in my daughter's house. Needless to say, I'm no longer with Sprint.

2) Avoid any phone with a battery that can't be replaced by popping off the back cover. The battery will go bad. Probably before you want to replace the phone, if it's not a cheap phone. A battery that you can replace by removing the back cover is in the $10-$25 range (depending on the phone). Labor to replace the battery on one that's not user-accessible is a lot more than that (and they'll make a nice profit on the battery too). Also, if the battery starts overheating badly, you can pop the cover off and shake or pry the battery out. If it's not easily removable, you watch the phone melt (if you're lucky and you're not watching a small bonfire).

3) Today I'd avoid any phone that can't accept a Qi charger receiver (or doesn't come with Qi charging built in). (That's wireless charging.) It's nice that all phone manufacturers (except Apple, of course) agreed on a single charging/data port. You can use anyone's charger on anyone's phone. But it's not nice that they chose the microUSB connector. That's probably the most often broken single component on a phone. Wireless charging (and wireless data transfer) makes the port almost unnecessary.

4) If your mother has a hearing problem (many of us "more experienced" people do), I'd avoid Verizon altogether. A bad GSM signal is a lot easier to understand than a bad CDMA signal when you don't have the hearing of a teenager.

The same goes for screen size. I tried to look something up on my daughter's phone yesterday, and even with my reading glasses it was a struggle. My phone has a 5.7" screen and I still need reading glasses for some apps. So unless they have eagle vision, a small screen is probably out.

5) Personally I'd avoid a phone that doesn't have an external SD card, but if your mother and sister don't plan on storing a lot of apps, pictures, music, video, etc., they don't need the extra storage space. (My phone is my "small laptop", so 128GB of storage is really not much, even though it's the most available these days.)

As far as which phone to consider, we'd have to know their or your financial considerations. Someone who doesn't need much storage or a large screen can probably get away with a phone costing only a few dollars (with contract - which means that you pay a lot more for the phone, but you're paying it in higher monthly bills, not up front). An S5? Why? Latest doesn't mean greatest. IMO, the M8 is a better phone than the S5 (and I've been using Samsung phones for years). What are the considerations? Price? Size? Picture quality? Battery life?

It's easy to tell you what to stay away from. It takes a lot more information to tell you what to pick.

Verizon makes it a bit easier than some carriers. Their stores usually have working models of the phones for you to try out, so they can look at the phones you haven't eliminated and see how they feel, how they look, etc. (A large phone is easier to read if your eyes are older - but more difficult to use with one hand, because it's harder to stretch your thumb across that larger screen.) Make your list, then let them go to the store and see what they like.

(Just in case you aren't aware of it, and you should be - all cellphone owners should be - the price you pay for the phone when you get a contract isn't the price you'd pay for the phone if you have to replace it before the contract ends. The discount for the contract is VERY steep. A $100 phone under contract can cost $600 to buy. [And you're paying about $900 for it in the increased cost of the contract over a no contract service.])
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I have to agree with Golfdriver97 on this one. That would be my choice as well (coming from a Samsung GS4).
    Rukbat also makes a great point in what you should consider for their personal needs.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

There's not much left to say after Rukbat's dissertation.

I would recommend staying away from any phone that has less than 16 GB of ROM (i.e., storage memory). Many entry-level phones have as little as 4 GB of ROM, part of which is taken up by the OS, which means as little as 1 GB of internal storage available to the user. Since this is where apps are installed, you can run out of room very quickly.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks to all for the replies!

My Mom is not hard of hearing and her eyesight is fine. We're fairly tech savvy so we understand basics and more pretty well. I've had Verizon for 13+ yrs and live in the same area, coverage is not a problem. We understand costs and how contracts work.

I just wanted to know what phones to avoid and what phones are recommended/have good feedback. There are always phones/devices that are not all they're hyped up to be.

I understand the latest is not always the greatest. That's why I asked what was recommended. So far I've seen mostly all good reviews on the S5.

I agree with the avoiding the unremoveable battery phones, however, my husband and I had the latest RAZR and had no issues with the battery.

Costs on fixing/replacing: We pay for thr monthly insurance that covers any of those issues. My parents will do the same.

So taking out the consideration of tech savvyness, money, costs, coverage, physical limitations, etc ....

What are recommendations on phones based solely on them being good phones? Lowest amount of issues, will be able to receive any new OS updates coming out, etc.

I currently have the Note 2 and while I am pretty happy with it I think it's just too big of a phone for them. My daughters have the S3 and they've been decent phones for them.

Global Posts
    22,222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by tess1977 View Post
    Thanks to all for the replies!

My Mom is not hard of hearing and her eyesight is fine. We're fairly tech savvy so we understand basics and more pretty well. I've had Verizon for 13+ yrs and live in the same area, coverage is not a problem. We understand costs and how contracts work.

I just wanted to know what phones to avoid and what phones are recommended/have good feedback. There are always phones/devices that are not all they're hyped up to be.

I understand the latest is not always the greatest. That's why I asked what was recommended. So far I've seen mostly all good reviews on the S5.

I agree with the avoiding the unremoveable battery phones, however, my husband and I had the latest RAZR and had no issues with the battery.

Costs on fixing/replacing: We pay for thr monthly insurance that covers any of those issues. My parents will do the same.

So taking out the consideration of tech savvyness, money, costs, coverage, physical limitations, etc ....

What are recommendations on phones based solely on them being good phones? Lowest amount of issues, will be able to receive any new OS updates coming out, etc.

I currently have the Note 2 and while I am pretty happy with it I think it's just too big of a phone for them. My daughters have the S3 and they've been decent phones for them.

If size may be an issue, I would still recommend the Moto X. For me, that phone just hits the sweet spot for screen size versus physical size. Since it is closer to a phone that is controlled by Google, as opposed to Verizon, getting updates is a much safer bet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Perfect! Thanks so much!

I've been doing some checking this morning as well and I'm going to stick with my original recommendation of the S5. The feedback from here definitely helps and I thank you all so very much!!

XOXO

Golfdriver97 likes this.