Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does anyone know anything about these apps: safe to disable?

Ive been wondering about these things since i got the phone:

avrcpServiceSamsung
    com.android.backupconfirm
    com.android.sharedstorage(cuts off)
    com.samsung.app.playreadyiu
    com.samsung.inputeventapp
    com.sec.android.app.minimod(cuts off)
    com.sec.android.providers.dow(cuts off)
    CSC
    DRM protected content storag(cuts off)
    Google account manager
    google backup transport
    google bookmark sync
    calender/contact sync (also google)
    google partner setup
    Google play services - is this needed for the store to work??
    Key chain
    MAPServicesamsung
    market feedback agent
    media storage (4.80mb, smaller than the actual amount of media i have stored on external SD card)
    OMACP -??
    OmaDrmPopup
    Package Access helper
    package installer
    Popupuireceiver
    Quickview
    Samsung account - what is this needed for?
    search apps provider
    SecPhone
    Share apps
    SnsImageCache
    TwDVFSApp
    TwLauncher (im assuming this is the default launcher? Maybe)
    TwWallpaper chooser
    Wifi direct/Wifi sharing/Wifi sharing manager (will disabling any of these disable my ability to actually connect to a wifi network?)
    wssyncmlnps

Can anyone tell me what any of these do?? I have found the spreadsheet that exists... but for alot of these enteries i either couldnt find it at all, or no info or very vague info was present.

Also, regarding ANY app...... what will happen if i clear data within the settings manager?? In the instance of a game, would i have to start over (if it syncs with facebook)? Is it worth doing or would it just recreate instantly?

Some of those system things i mentioned above have data amounts that i would clear, if i knew what the apps themselves did.

If anyone can offer any help for anything mentioned here at all... that would be great!!

Im basically just trying to keep my phone as clean and bloat free as possible. (i just downgraded and disabled google keyboard. why use imitation swype when i have real swype available? and its much smaller?)

Bonus question: Anyone know where to download the smiley p.oop (why did the board star out that word?) emoticon for android 4.0.4?

(PS I am rooted, so i can disable anything that is safe to).

Default Re: Does anyone know anything about these apps: safe to disable?

Before I start I just want to make it 100% clear I am not 100% on the below, and I have not looked into this. This is all done at your own risk and I would suggest investigating. If you find errors, or a ‘professional’ comments and corrects me this would be awesome.

Before delving in- clearing data. Because you’re going with the intention of keeping your phone clean and slick I would suggest let Clean Master, Memory Booster or All-In-One Toolbox take care of this.
    As for the bonus question, just do a Google Search, or try Aptoide.
    Once again, I am not 100% certain nor can I guarantee I am 100% correct.
    avrcpServiceSamsung; I am not too sure of this one- with all the below Samsung Process/Service/Packages I am clueless on as I do not use.
    com.android.backupconfirm; this has to do with Data Backing up, so if you really don’t care I would assume this is okay to disable.
    com.android.sharedstorage(cuts off); Shared Storage leads me to believe access via cloud etc, but I cannot be certain- it is a bit risky being rooted because you have full control, where as not being rooted you’re restricted from deleting anything/disabling anything that could ‘hurt’ the system.
    com.samsung.app.playreadyiu; This again is a Samsung process, I am not sure- it would be best to read the description.
    com.samsung.inputeventapp; Again, Samsung- I am not sure.
    com.sec.android.app.minimod(cuts off)- This one I would recommend not shutting off, nor the next.
    com.sec.android.providers.dow(cuts off) Refer to above- Sec (I believe) refers to as Security.
    CSC; Is this a package? I am not 100% sure with all the packages here and I am just going with what I know- please correct me where wrong and doing your own research.
    DRM protected content storag(cuts off)- I would suggest leaving this on- as I am fairly certain this has to do with Device Storage that shouldn’t be altered.
    Google account manager; No. Just, no. I presume you like Hangouts, Google+, Play Store etc? I think many of these do not need to be disabled, just you need to manage them.
    google backup transport; Sure, why not- if you don’t need your data backed up (Hell, we can do our own!) I would.
    google bookmark sync; Definitely. I doubt we want to sync bookmarks?
    calender/contact sync (also google); This depends on what you need- I probably would leave this on, as it does not use much battery.
    google partner setup; Because you’re running root- I assume this is all okay- if not we could turn back on.
    Google play services - is this needed for the store to work??- Yes, sort of! So let’s just leave this on.
    Key chain; Meh, get rid of it. I am not 100% sure of its role, but mine has been disabled and I have had no issues.
    MAPServicesamsung; Samsung junk- I have not the slightest clue. With all this I would look into this- it appears this one is for Maps.
    market feedback agent; We do not need to give feedback!
    media storage (4.80mb, smaller than the actual amount of media i have stored on external SD card); This isn’t the app to store everything, and I would suggest you leave it.
    OMACP -??; This is one I am not sure of, you will need to investigate.
    OmaDrmPopup; Leave, this is the same as the above.
    Package Access helper; I am not 100% on this one- I would try it. It sounds as though it is for people when installing APK’s.
    package installer; Leave this installed for your applications.
    Popupuireceiver; Leave- sounds like a package to help you receive data, although not 100%
    Quickview; This is all dependent on you really. I personally would keep.
    Samsung account - what is this needed for?- I’d assume Samsung have their own market and apps?
    search apps provider; Not really needed- I’d remove.
    SecPhone; Not sure on this one, own research required.
    Share apps; I do not think this is needed, Not sure on this one, own research required.
    SnsImageCache; This is the cache and I would leave this one.
    TwDVFSApp; Not sure on this one, own research required.
    TwLauncher (im assuming this is the default launcher? Maybe); TouchWiz if I am correct- please leave this!
    TwWallpaper chooser; Not really needed but advisable to keep.
    Wifi direct/Wifi sharing/Wifi sharing manager (will disabling any of these disable my ability to actually connect to a wifi network?); I would definitely suggest leaving this one.
    Wssyncmlnps; Not sure on this one, own research required.
    Regards
    Michael Nancarrow