Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How can I save an (APK?) app and reinstall later?

Can someone briefly explain what the apk is, is that the file of the app, or what? and can i just extract the file, save it somewhere and then reinstall it later if need be? (without re-downloading it from the playstore or wherever). And i am not rooted. thanks.
  2. Best Answer
    jpr
    Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

The apk is the installer file for an app. It includes only the program itself, not any data you have modified like settings or game progress, etc.

Yes you can save it and use it to install the app later without having to download it again and you do not need root for this. There are a variety of ways and depending on your device, OS version, and technical inclination one may work better than others.

One is that you can use backup apps, like Helium or MyBackup or several others you can find in the play store. Another is that you can copy the files themselves from their location on the phone or SD card. Another is to use a file manager app with a backup ability, like File Expert.

So look into those things and see what you find suits you best. When your want to install it, just open the apk on your phone and it will install. You may have to check the setting to allow apps from unknown sources which is usually under the security settings.

jpr

Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

Default Re: How can I save an (APK?) app and reinstall later?

The apk is the installer file for an app. It includes only the program itself, not any data you have modified like settings or game progress, etc.

Yes you can save it and use it to install the app later without having to download it again and you do not need root for this. There are a variety of ways and depending on your device, OS version, and technical inclination one may work better than others.

One is that you can use backup apps, like Helium or MyBackup or several others you can find in the play store. Another is that you can copy the files themselves from their location on the phone or SD card. Another is to use a file manager app with a backup ability, like File Expert.

So look into those things and see what you find suits you best. When your want to install it, just open the apk on your phone and it will install. You may have to check the setting to allow apps from unknown sources which is usually under the security settings.
    Paisley likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks! I will try it tmrw.

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

The free app Super Manager can create .apk files of apps.

Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

And Helium can back up the app's data along with the apk file of the app.

if you are not sure if you are going to install the programs ever again, you can just throw them away, if you dont have the possibility to connect to google play and you need the APK files anyway, just search on the net for APK downloads, there are plenty of good websites around, some examples:
    Android download apk NET
    apkfiles.com
    appsapk.com
    or just enter the name of the program you are looking for on google together with "APK" and i'm sure you will find a good download..

I would add a word of caution that downloading and installing .apk files from any of these websites may increase your risk for malware, since you don't really know for sure how well these files have been vetted. In addition, a number of those files are likely for apps that are supposed to be paid, so I would suggest not supporting that kind of site.
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/P3S6fTo.png[/IMG]