Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Rukbat
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default sorry im new please help me

I recently bought a nexus 10 I have an arris router and I can't get internet service all my other devices phone ps4 are connected just fine the nex10 is connected but the WiFi signal is grey I think it may be a compatibility issue and I'm wondering if I could connect a second wireless router to make this work if anyone can please help

Global Posts
    20,738 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: sorry im new please help me

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Lynn View Post
    I recently bought a nexus 10 I have an arris router and I can't get internet service all my other devices phone ps4 are connected just fine the nex10 is connected but the WiFi signal is grey I think it may be a compatibility issue and I'm wondering if I could connect a second wireless router to make this work if anyone can please help
    Welcome to the forums.
    Can you visit webpages on the N10?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    2,735 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

You can connect a second wifi access point (you can use a router as one), but it's not as simple as just plugging one in. Configuring two wireless routers with one SSID (network name) at home for free roaming - Scott Hanselman

But I don't think that's your problem. Take the tab to a Starbucks, McDonalds or other free public wifi hotspot, or a friend's house, and see if the tab will connect with another wifi network. If it can, tghere's nothing wrong with the tab, but if it can't connect to any wifi network, there IS a problem with the tab, and changing the router won't fix the tab.

If it works on other networks, make sure you have a free DHCP slot in the router (there's a range of DHCP addresses - if there are as many slots as you have devices connected, the router can't issue an address to the tab, so the tab can't connect. Make the address range larger.

Also make sure that you're using WPA2 or WPA2 Personal (or WPA2/WPA Mixed Personal) and the encryption, if any, is set to TKIP.

"Forget" the connection, then try to connect to it when it's found again.
    B. Diddy and Golfdriver97 like this.

Good advice above. Also review this guide: [GUIDE] Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Connection Problems

The one caveat is that you probably can't reboot your router by unplugging it and plugging it in again, since I suspect it's a combination modem/router from Arris (I have one too, from Comcast). These combo devices usually have a battery backup that prevents you from completely powering down by unplugging, so that the cable signal itself isn't disconnected. You can log into the router's settings on any browser connected to that router by typing in the IP address into the URL bar of the browser. You can typically find the default IP address on a sticker on the back of the unit. The default username and password are often "admin" and "password."
    Golfdriver97 likes this.