Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Messaging app, doesnt always completely exit?

Just wondering if mine is the only one that will sometimes or sometimes not completely exit out when pressing the back button? Sometimes its still in my active apps, sometimes its not, but it usually does stay active. I thought the home button just puts apps on "pause" while the back button completely exits out of them? why do i have to go in and force kill it all the time?

is there some setting im missing? Im running 4.0.4

Global Posts
    10,677 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Messaging app, doesnt always completely exit?

Quote Originally Posted by pawprints86 View Post
    Just wondering if mine is the only one that will sometimes or sometimes not completely exit out when pressing the back button? Sometimes its still in my active apps, sometimes its not, but it usually does stay active. I thought the home button just puts apps on "pause" while the back button completely exits out of them? why do i have to go in and force kill it all the time?

is there some setting im missing? Im running 4.0.4
    There's no need for it to be completed exited, or closed. If battery is your concern don't worry about it, it's not consuming much, if anything at all, while it's not in use.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    There's no need for it to be completed exited, or closed. If battery is your concern don't worry about it, it's not consuming much, if anything at all, while it's not in use.
    Its more of a ram thing than a battery thing.

Then you should be even less concerned about it, since Android manages RAM and open apps automatically: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Will give that a read. Im just always trying to concerve ram, especially since im supposed to have 1 gig of ram, but i only see 724 megs at least accessable to me, when a gig is 1024 megs.

Global Posts
    10,677 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Will give that a read. Im just always trying to concerve ram, especially since im supposed to have 1 gig of ram, but i only see 724 megs at least accessable to me, when a gig is 1024 megs.
    Completely understandable. Keep in mind that there are services running in the background keeping the device updated, sync'd, active, etc. If you are starting to see issues with the device, i.e. slowdown/lag, unresponsiveness, etc., then take a look at what could be causing those issues.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Completely understandable. Keep in mind that there are services running in the background keeping the device updated, sync'd, active, etc. If you are starting to see issues with the device, i.e. slowdown/lag, unresponsiveness, etc., then take a look at what could be causing those issues.
    Other than freezing a few times (though google suggests that it was/is a problem with that speciific app, not my phone) it hasnt been terrible. ive had to hold down the power button to turn it off and reboot, it a few times. I just instintively did that from owning a computer for so many years, it was nearly subconcious, but it worked!

the overall motion, like going through the phones menus, or home screens, etc is still very smooth.

other than the odd random freezing (normally when trying to boot that app i mention. it hasnt just randomly frozen when "at rest"... at least not yet), im just trying to keep it that way.

So, is it normal that i cant see all of the ram actually available? I have sync disabled/manual for all my accounts (facebook, gmail, etc). and data is turned off. so aside from it monitoring for text messages and calls, im not too sure what the ram is busy doing! lol

Global Posts
    10,677 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

So, is it normal that i cant see all of the ram actually available? I have sync disabled/manual for all my accounts (facebook, gmail, etc). and data is turned off. so aside from it monitoring for text messages and calls, im not too sure what the ram is busy doing! lol
    Yes, it's normal and nothing to worry about. Let the system pick and choose which apps to shutdown to free up space.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yes, it's normal and nothing to worry about. Let the system pick and choose which apps to shutdown to free up space.
    if i force stop things i dont need it booting up every time will it learn faster?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I just tried force stopping some things i know i dont use every time. it ended up freeing up a good 100mb of ram!! But i will likely have to do that every time wont i?

That RAM will ultimately get used again by some other app that either you open or the system opens in the background. Unless you're experiencing a lot of performance issues, you really don't need to monitor the RAM closely.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

doesnt more ram free for when i open a larger app (like disneys hidden worlds for example) ultimately mean better performance??

thats the one ive had freeze up on me when not enough ram is available.