The 'root' of the problem

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site
It's amazing to me that rooting your phone voids the warranty since you can't do a damn thing with your phone unless it's rooted!

OK, Google claims to have a "legitimate" reason for rendering the task of easily accessing my SD card using WiFi File Transfer Pro impossible (my most favorite app BTW) . Unless, of course, I want to root my phone. So, what do I do if I want to use the only music player I chose to pay for (PowerAmp)?? I have to remove my card from my phone, insert it in a card reader and copy files from my PC the old-fashioned way. Minor PITA and, not to mention, a complete throwback to the days of sneaker-netting. Hello again, 1993!

Since KIES is a complete flop from my experience: occasionally it works, most of the time it doesn't, maybe I can figure out which driver(s) I need to install so I can take advantage of USB. Turns out, my phone has to be rooted in order to access the SD card?!?!?!?

I'm really beginning to regret not buying that nice, shiny little Windows Phone. I really am. This is such BS. Epitome of corporate "logic": (To paraphrase Kirk & Spock, however badly) The desires of the few far, far, FAR outweigh the convenience of the masses (who, BTW just happen to keep those few in the lifestyles to which they are accustomed).

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It's amazing to me people still talk about this. Because in reality if you unroot before a warranty claim the warranty is always honored. This is only an issue to talk about but not an issue in reality.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm still on 4.3 (4.4.x doesn't get near this phone in my lifetime), but try a rooted app (unroot afterward if you prefer) and create a folder on the card with "everyone" having all permissions. Then any app ought to be able to write to that folder, create new subfolders, etc. If you do that at the root of the card, with no other folders on it but the two that Android puts there, then put everything in a subfolder of that "everyone" folder, you should get around the Kit Kat security. (Since I won't update, I can't check it, it's just a thought.)