Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Backing up data to swap phones?

I looked at using Helium to backup my phone for when I transfer to a new one, but the current Play version tells me it's not compatible with my current phone and won't allow me to download it. I'm currently rooted with Titanium installed, so I know I could back up with it. I'm not yet sure if I want to root my new phone right off the bat, but would Titanium also need root access to restore app data on the new phone?

I'm going from a Droid Bionic to an HTC One M8, and there's several apps that I want to transfer without downloading fresh from Play (I don't like some of the updates and bugs that are in them), plus I want to save game play data without creating a special account to cloud sync.
  2. Best Answer

You can try to install the Helium apk from ClockworkMod

The download link is the "android app" text next to the Android logo.

I *think* (read as let's confirm this, I could easily be wrong) that you can use backup via the desktop application (Windows, Mac or Linux supported) without root access.

Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    7,576 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Backing up to swap phones.

You can try to install the Helium apk from ClockworkMod

The download link is the "android app" text next to the Android logo.

I *think* (read as let's confirm this, I could easily be wrong) that you can use backup via the desktop application (Windows, Mac or Linux supported) without root access.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Backing up to swap phones.

Dang. I actually read the Play description for Helium (I know, I should have already but I didn't bother when it gave me the not allowed notice), and they mentioned Motorola phones have a bug that prevents it from working. I'll see what happens I guess.

Edit: I can't even install it via the separate apk download link. Once it downloaded, I got to the install screen but the install button was inoperable.