Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google map voice navigation

How do you make Google maps speak the navigation?

Notes from Deb's Note 3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

Default Re: Google map voice navigation

When you search for directions on a map, on the bottom panel (where it shows you the estimated time and distance for your trip), you'll see a "START" button with an arrow. That's the Navigation button. Start that and, as long as you're using GPS for location services, it'll fire up Turn-by-Turn Voice Guidance. Should you want to mute the virtual gal telling you what to do as you drive/walk/ride, just tap the menu button (or the three dots on the right of the bottom panel) and select "MUTE VOICE GUIDANCE".
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you. My problem seems to be that I went directly to Google Maps instead of using Google search now. I think I got it to work. Thank you again.

Notes from Deb's Note 3
    Deb
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I don't understand why when I'm in my house it speaks when I get into my car it does not speak.

Notes from Deb's Note 3
    Deb

Is your phone on some sort of dock when you're in your car? Maybe it's trying to output audio through that dock...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

No, I put it in one of the cup holders or its in my purse. It's synced to my car, though but I don't think that would cause the problem do you? I get phone calls through it fine.

Notes from Deb's Note 3
    Deb
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Digging a little deeper into this I found some old posts where the problem has been found to be the Bluetooth connection that is causing the problem.

There is supposed to be a workaround that supposedly will make it work but I'm writing this from bed and I'm not going out to my car in a thunderstorm to try it right now.

Notes from Deb's Note 3
    Deb

Yeah, I'm guessing it's the Bluetooth link. I'm not sure if there's an individual volume setting for the system sound or not, but that MIGHT be the issue.
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    I don't understand why when I'm in my house it speaks when I get into my car it does not speak.
    In your house you're connected to the internet via WiFi. In your car you're connected to the internet via your mobile network. Maybe you have Mobile Data disabled?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I turned on hands free this morning and it worked. I also think part of the problem is that my volume on my FM radio is usually nearly off. I don't listen to much radio. However when phone calls come through they blast me out. I guess I'm relegated to putting my Garmin in my car when I need a GPS.

Notes from Deb's Note 3
    Deb

Or just turn up the volume :P hehe
    Thanked by:
    kct1975 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I need that navigational directions two to three times a year. I'll live with a Garmin.

Notes from Deb's Note 3
    Deb

I have a Samsung note II, my best friend has A Samsung S4
    Navigation has no voice.
    I enabled everything under Text to voice, I am using Google. I downloaded the new
    voice. No matter what we do , navigation has no voice/sound
    same for my friends S4
    Basically Navigation has become useless without turn to turn voice.
    How do we fix this ?
    Thank you.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Did you turn on hands free? And turn the volume up.

Notes from Deb's Note 3
    Deb

Yes ,
    all volume settings are set to maximum.
    Hands free is enabled , still no voice in navigation.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

when I open googlemaps and looking for a street etc , my voice doesn't work at all and even though I goto bottom right of screen press it and see where it says voice , although its switched on no voice works , so how did you get it to work did you goto googlemaps from google as I use the actual app
    , your reply would be deeply appreciated ty

Mine still does not work no matter what I do . Everything is enabled , voice is downloaded. It always worked fine until I used it yesterday with no luck.
    I wonder is someone in here will help us figure this out...

I have the same problem with my notes 3 so I finally switched to mapquest and it works fine.

Google maps broke on my S3 after the last update. Not only does voice ONLY work when it tells me "GPS signal lost" (which it does almost immediately) but my location and direction is WAY off. No one seems to be addressing the update having broken Google Maps.
    Thanked by:

Interesting that it seems to be isolated to Samsung phones. My Nexus 5 is running the latest version of Maps and working fine.

If you go to System Settings -> Accessibility -> Text-to-speech output are you able to get it to play with Listen to an example?

Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    Interesting that it seems to be isolated to Samsung phones. My Nexus 5 is running the latest version of Maps and working fine.

If you go to System Settings -> Accessibility -> Text-to-speech output are you able to get it to play with Listen to an example?
    Yes, and like I said, GMaps is MORE than happy to tell me that GPS signal is lost which it does EVERY time and quickly at that.

I have the same issue. Tried to use it
    tonight, and no voice on my S4.

Thanks Bro, it's works fine for me, Since I install new software update on my Note 3 the GPS voice guidance stop working, so I was completely shot and this is the same problem I had on my S4 too, but now I just installed MapQuest and its' just works great, No problem at all. I recommend for everyone whoever had same problem so install MapQuest and your Navigation problem will be solve just like that in a minutes. The G.Maps app I put in garbage, I am not using any more....... Thanks!

Since I install new software update on my Note 3 the GPS voice guidance stop working, so I was completely shot and this is the same problem I had on my S4 too, but now I just installed MapQuest and its' just works great, No problem at all. I recommend for everyone whoever had same problem so install MapQuest and your Navigation problem will be solve just like that in a minutes. The G.Maps app I put in garbage, I am not using any more. Try it this app

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    How do you make Google maps speak the navigation?

Notes from Deb's Note 3

Note 3 fix: on youtube search "note 3 gps fix" and go to first video with the number code *#9090# typed into phone pad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast