Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Pictures/Videos Show Up As Generic Black Icons with Lightning Bolt

All - Need a big assist here.

Phone Details:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Android 4.4.2
    AT&T

I have researched the forums and cannot find a similar thread/problem.

I have approximately 800 pictures/videos saved on my memory card. My phone was acting very sluggish so I decided to reset to factory settings. When I did this, those same pictures/videos show up as shown below:

Pictures/Videos Show Up As Generic Black Icons with Lightning Bolt-screenshot_2014-05-28-09-48-42.jpg

Pictures/Videos Show Up As Generic Black Icons with Lightning Bolt-screenshot_2014-05-28-09-48-55.jpg

As you can tell, the media details still exist, however I am unable to share them via any service (email, text, etc.) from my phone. I have tried a few different things including: attempting to open the pictures/videos in various apps, plugging the memory card into the computer to pull the pictures/videos (no data on card), etc.

These photos were not backed up anywhere other than on my memory card. I know, cardinal sin.

Please help.

Thank you.

Global Posts
    20,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Pictures/Videos Show Up As Generic Black Icons with Lightning Bolt

I would unmount the card, and insert into your PC. You may be able to recover them.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Default Re: Pictures/Videos Show Up As Generic Black Icons with Lightning Bolt

IF Golfdriver is right you're very lucky!

Want to prevent losing your photos in future but hate backing up?
    Install Dropbox and set it to sync (upload) all new images in the DCIM folder to it when connected via WiFi.
    Then whatever happens to your device, your photos will still be backed up in your Dropbox (and available on all your other devices that have Dropbox installed).