WHy cant i get kit kat? its so fusterating

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Who made the device? It will depend if they want to update it to KitKat.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Who made the device?

I looked around, and Ellipse seems to be Verizon's in house brand name. Not sure about the actual manufacturer. I also wasn't finding anything about a Kit Kat update, just a maintenance update or two. So it seems for now there is no official KK update and no word that I found to confirm if it'll even happen (but being released last November, one could expect KK ability if developed).

So it sounds like you may have to resort to rooting and installing a custom ROM for KK, assuming one is even available.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I looked around, and Ellipse seems to be Verizon's in house brand name. Not sure about the actual manufacturer. I also wasn't finding anything about a Kit Kat update, just a maintenance update or two. So it seems for now there is no official KK update and no word that I found to confirm if it'll even happen (but being released last November, one could expect KK ability if developed).

So it sounds like you may have to resort to rooting and installing a custom ROM for KK, assuming one is even available.

Didn't even think to search it myself. Shows how tired I am getting.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

anon(6038817)

May 29, 2013
Visit site
The only guaranteed bet that you'll get Android OS updates is if you get a Nexus device. And even then, there's a chance that the updates will eventually stop. The Galaxy Nexus (I loved that phone) isn't getting the official Kit Kat update, either.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk

May 31, 2014
Visit site
its okay, but can i ask this? should i contact the maker of the tablet and ask them why they are stuck on stupid? lol i mean really.... it was released oct of 2013 you would think they would have built it with the capability to be upgraded to the most current operating system.. these are things a customer should never have to ask...

- - - Updated - - -

i dont want to do anything major to the device, i was hoping it would just become available- do you find this tablet to be good? since you checked it out?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned previously, getting system updates for a device is not a simple as it may sound. Google first makes the new Android version available to device manufacturers, who then have to test it and modify it to make sure it runs smoothly on their devices, because there are so many different devices with different hardware out there. On top of that, the carrier also has to modify the update to make sure it works well on their network, as well as to make sure that all of the various bloatware they add on (ahem, Verizon) works right. It can be a long drawn-out process, and for devices that aren't big sellers, it often isn't worth it for the manufacturer or the carrier. On top of that, Verizon is notoriously slow when it comes to system updates for its devices.

You can certainly contact Verizon and ask them about updates, but my guess is that there are no plans to update the Ellipsis to KitKat. Look at it this way--whenever these big system updates come out, there are inevitably problems that people start complaining about, be it crashes, random reboots, battery drain, lag, preinstalled apps that were suddenly eliminated, etc. Getting a system update isn't always a good thing.

In regard to the Ellipsis itself, it's hard to give an opinion of the device without trying it out myself. The specs are fairly middle-of-the-road, but the main advantage is that it's 4G LTE enabled, so you're not limited to wi-fi hotspots.

May 31, 2014
Visit site
you have a very good point, thank you for your words of widsom my friend.
As mentioned previously, getting system updates for a device is not a simple as it may sound. Google first makes the new Android version available to device manufacturers, who then have to test it and modify it to make sure it runs smoothly on their devices, because there are so many different devices with different hardware out there. On top of that, the carrier also has to modify the update to make sure it works well on their network, as well as to make sure that all of the various bloatware they add on (ahem, Verizon) works right. It can be a long drawn-out process, and for devices that aren't big sellers, it often isn't worth it for the manufacturer or the carrier. On top of that, Verizon is notoriously slow when it comes to system updates for its devices.

You can certainly contact Verizon and ask them about updates, but my guess is that there are no plans to update the Ellipsis to KitKat. Look at it this way--whenever these big system updates come out, there are inevitably problems that people start complaining about, be it crashes, random reboots, battery drain, lag, preinstalled apps that were suddenly eliminated, etc. Getting a system update isn't always a good thing.

In regard to the Ellipsis itself, it's hard to give an opinion of the device without trying it out myself. The specs are fairly middle-of-the-road, but the main advantage is that it's 4G LTE enabled, so you're not limited to wi-fi hotspots.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's not just a question of if the hardware can run it. Every manufacturer puts its own touches into the software, which requires testing. Then the carrier will want their special touches put on, requiring more testing. It'd be nice if Android was programmed only by Google and released to everyone who's device meets minimum hardware requirements (and made optional instead of shoved down our throats whether we like it or not).

Even if KK is planned for your tablet, Verizon is known to be the slowest to roll out updates.Not sure if anything changed since the sagas surrounding the Droid Bionic updates, but they used to run a device through the test procedures until it failed one. They would then send it back to the manufacture to fix that one issue. Once done, they would start the test over from scratch until the next bug pops up and so on and so on. Instead of doing all the tests and sending it back with a list of bugs to squash all at once, they would do it one at a time.

You may be better off not getting an update, though. Every device I've had updated with Verizon had more bugs and inconveniences than the version that was on it prior. Or as I like to say, Verizon: Where every update is better than the next. Lol

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I don't know why, but when I started my last post, the AC app hadn't updated to show your post. Funny how ours were almost identical. Lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney