Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rukbat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Saving contacts to SIM "Error, contact name is too long"?

Hi,
    Invested in an i-Mobile IQ 5.7 (Thai marketed, I'd guess produced in China?) using Jelly Bean 4.3.
    I want to keep all my contacts on the sim, as I may need to move the sim to another phone occassionally.
    My problem is saving the contacts to the sim. When I use the i-mobile IQ 5.7, it won't allow me the save a contact with a name longer than 14 characters.
    Thing is, this sim has been used on a (non-smart)phone and with that I can save on the sim contacts up to 20 characters long. When I installed the sim in the IQ 5.7, it will read the 20 character entries, but as I've just said, won't save anything longer than 14 if I edit them.
    I keep getting: "Error, contact name is too long"

Is this an Android issue? I can't seeing it being an i-Mobile issue, as the phone I used to create the long entries is also an i-Mobile.

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Default Re: Saving contacts to SIM "Error, contact name is too long"

If you save your contacts to Google, moving the SIM won't cause any problem if that phone has the same email address. Google syncs all your devices (unless you disable contacts sync).

As far as the name being too long, it's not an Android issue. I just entered a 20 character long name on my SIM with no problem, so it must be an i-Mobile issue.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks,
    I didn't want to sync my contacts to Google really.
    Interesting that you think it's an i-Mobile issue, and you've saved a 20 character contact OK.
    I'll have to ask i-Mobile what they think. Unfortunately, living in Thailand, trying to get a sensible answer from the support staff could be a bit like pushing rope uphill, but I'll give it a try.
    I'll let you know of any developments.
    Thanks again for replying.

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

You're welcome. As for not wanting to save your contacts to Google, think what happens when you drop your phone crossing a street and a truck rolls over it. The truck owner can buy you a new phone, but not a list of your contacts (or other data you don't have saved off the phone).
    B. Diddy likes this.