Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Issue with USB Storage not connecting?

Hi,
    I recently unplugged my tablet after I put a movie on the ExtSD. Somehow it corrupted my internal SD and it wont show up anymore when I try and mount, and when I do mount it it just says calculating...

I tried to plug it into my PC for a reformatting but it wont connect I press the TURN USB STORAGE ON button but all it does is load and on my computer I get a little message saying it couldnt instal the software.

I can download apps since it still has 1 internal storage that is working but I cannot download files so I can't root or w/e that is.

I just need it to connect to my PC (I did a factory reset and that didn't fix the SDcard)
  2. Best Answer

Welcome to Android Central! First, tell us the exact brand/model of your tablet.

Second, we need to clarify which storage area is doing what. You said you put a movie onto your external SD card (the removable, physical micro SD card) via USB transfer, correct? And then your internal SD (i.e., the nonremovable Internal Storage partition that is called "Internal SD") won't show up any more--you mean it doesn't show up in your Settings>Storage menu? Or it won't show up on your computer when you plug it in via USB? Also, what are you trying to mount? Mounting should only be necessary for the External SD card, not the Internal SD/Storage area.

Default Re: USB Storage not connecting

Welcome to Android Central! First, tell us the exact brand/model of your tablet.

Second, we need to clarify which storage area is doing what. You said you put a movie onto your external SD card (the removable, physical micro SD card) via USB transfer, correct? And then your internal SD (i.e., the nonremovable Internal Storage partition that is called "Internal SD") won't show up any more--you mean it doesn't show up in your Settings>Storage menu? Or it won't show up on your computer when you plug it in via USB? Also, what are you trying to mount? Mounting should only be necessary for the External SD card, not the Internal SD/Storage area.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Android Version: 4.0.4
    Baseband Version: 1.5
    Kernel Version: 3.0.8+
    It was a cheap one (80 euros).

Okay I will explain everything: I have 2 Internal Storages (Nonremovables), one is where the apps get installed and the other where I download things. The one where the apps download is fine but the other one has problems.
    It doesnt show up in the Storage menu and when I click "Mount Storage" it loads it very briefly and says: Calculating... then it just stops and I can click the "Mount Storage" again.

This happened after I put my Micro SD in and I plugged my Tablet into my PC. When I just unplugged the cable it gave a message saying it wasn't properly disconnected.

When I now try and put it into my PC I get the menu with the button "Turn on USB Storage" but it just loads and I wont see it show up on my PC.
    I can enable the MTP storage and that one works, I can see it on my PC but I cannot reformat or enter it.

So to be sure I'm understanding correctly, the Internal Storage area that is probably called "Internal SD" isn't registering any more on the tablet, correct? It's possible that something got corrupted when you unplugged the device from your computer--it might have been in the middle of writing something, and if you remove media when it isn't ready, you can cause problems. The fact that it's a low-budget no-name tablet makes a hardware glitch more likely. It's usually advisable to use the Eject option when available on the PC.

Since you've already done a factory reset, there might not be anything more you can do. Sorry! Maybe someone else will have some bright ideas.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I was fearing the same some corrupt file.

I was hoping there was a way to format the Internal SD with an APP or something. I read stuff about rooting but is there a way to reformat with that ?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Okay I did a lot of things to my computer and suddenly I can see both SD cards appearing in my Computer.

I have a new problem now: I get a message on my android asking to turn on USB Storage so I click that but it just wont finish, it keeps loading.
    Because of that I am not allowed to defragment or look inside, is there a way to allow access from my computer ?

Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

I'm guessing that the removable SD card is corrupt. What I would do is run GPartEd (you can download it for free, but you have to burn it to a CD and boot your computer with it - it also comes in most Linux distros) and repartition and reformat the card. If GPartEd can't see the card, there's probably damage to the controller (there's a whole computer inside that little card). In that case, if it's a SanDisk card, contact them. You should have no problem getting it replaced. If it's another brand, they may replace it, they may not.

In the future, DO NOT remove memory devices (cards, phones) from your computer before ejecting them, and do not remove the card from the tablet before unmounting it (which does pretty much the same thing).
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ok thanks I will try the GPartEd and see if it works.
    But I am not sure you understand my current problem, I can see the SD card when I plug it into my computer now but I cannot seem to Turn on the USB Storage.
    You know when you plug it into your computer the little screen comes up and you have to press the button saying : "Turn on USB Storage", when I click that it just loads and doesn't connect.

Because it wont connect I do not have access to reformat it.