Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    I don't have unlimited data, so I prefer using Play Music's download feature to store music to my phone so I can listen to it on the go without using up my data. Specifically, I have a class 10 32GB micro SD card that I have the app use for the storage.

    The problem is, every time I download songs, when I play them, they're all messed up. They frequently have clipping, distortion, etc., and it's borderline unlistenable. And it's not just a few songs, it's every single one. Basically, they sound like they would if you were to stream them and happened to be on a pretty poor connection. But they're not being streamed...

    I've tried clearing the cache and data on the app, I've uninstalled and reinstalled and redownloaded the songs, and the issue persists.

    I also thought perhaps the memory card might be an issue, so I just ran a little test. I downloaded some songs to my card, listened to see if they'd mess up (they did), then I deleted them, switched me storage to the internal phone memory, and downloaded them again to listen if they'd mess up, and they did. So whatever the problem is, it doesn't seem like it has anything to do with my memory card...

    Any fix for this? Thanks in advance.
  2. #2  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    Quote Originally Posted by MRW1215 View Post
    I don't have unlimited data, so I prefer using Play Music's download feature to store music to my phone so I can listen to it on the go without using up my data. Specifically, I have a class 10 32GB micro SD card that I have the app use for the storage.

    The problem is, every time I download songs, when I play them, they're all messed up. They frequently have clipping, distortion, etc., and it's borderline unlistenable. And it's not just a few songs, it's every single one. Basically, they sound like they would if you were to stream them and happened to be on a pretty poor connection. But they're not being streamed...

    I've tried clearing the cache and data on the app, I've uninstalled and reinstalled and redownloaded the songs, and the issue persists.

    I also thought perhaps the memory card might be an issue, so I just ran a little test. I downloaded some songs to my card, listened to see if they'd mess up (they did), then I deleted them, switched me storage to the internal phone memory, and downloaded them again to listen if they'd mess up, and they did. So whatever the problem is, it doesn't seem like it has anything to do with my memory card...

    Any fix for this? Thanks in advance.
    Have you tried any other music apps? I also had issues with Play Music, but specifically when listening with headphones on. Bought Power Amp and it is definitely worth the $4 imo.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
    MERCDROID likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    Eh, I dunno. Silly as it sounds, I'd prefer to stick with Google's own apps and services, though now that you mention it, I tried downloading some songs again and playing them on my phone without headphones, and I'm not noticing any issues with the songs... That's a very bizarre issue... There's gotta be a way to fix that, right?
  4. #4  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    Quote Originally Posted by MRW1215 View Post
    Eh, I dunno. Silly as it sounds, I'd prefer to stick with Google's own apps and services, though now that you mention it, I tried downloading some songs again and playing them on my phone without headphones, and I'm not noticing any issues with the songs... That's a very bizarre issue... There's gotta be a way to fix that, right?
    Was just curious as to whether it was isolated to Play Music or your phone in general.
    Never had issues with skipping. Let me see if I can get some help 😃

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    Ah. Downloaded the free version of Poweramp just for testing purposes; I'm not trying to play any music from Play Music on it, but I tried out some of my longer custom ringtones (.mp3s) I have saved on my phone, and Poweramp plays them fine, with headphones in.

    I should mention, when I said before that the downloaded music was playing fine when no headphones were inserted, that was in the Play Music app.
  6. #6  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    Quote Originally Posted by MRW1215 View Post
    Ah. Downloaded the free version of Poweramp just for testing purposes; I'm not trying to play any music from Play Music on it, but I tried out some of my longer custom ringtones (.mp3s) I have saved on my phone, and Poweramp plays them fine, with headphones in.

    I should mention, when I said before that the downloaded music was playing fine when no headphones were inserted, that was in the Play Music app.
    Yeah, I got that
    If you play music do you still get skipping and clipping?
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    If you play music do you still get skipping and clipping?
    Under what circumstances? I never experience full blown track skipping, basically what will happen is that frequently during any given song, it almost sounds like it's "buffering" at certain points and will play in a staggered way for a couple seconds. That, or it'll get all garbled sounding, or glitchy sounding for a couple second, Not really sure how to describe it. One or more of these things tends to happen every 15-20 seconds during every song. Sometimes it's just a brief occurrence, other times, it will garble the song for a good 5-10 seconds.

    From my tests, these are the circumstances I've tested and the results they yield:

    Playing downloaded music via Google Play Music app WITH headphones in: Music has problems

    Playing downloaded music via Google Play Music app WITHOUT headphones in: Music plays fine through the phone speaker

    Playing mp3s (not from Google Play) via 3rd party app WITH or WITHOUT headphones: Music plays fine
  8. #8  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    Quote Originally Posted by MRW1215 View Post
    Under what circumstances? I never experience full blown track skipping, basically what will happen is that frequently during any given song, it almost sounds like it's "buffering" at certain points and will play in a staggered way for a couple seconds. That, or it'll get all garbled sounding, or glitchy sounding for a couple second, Not really sure how to describe it. One or more of these things tends to happen every 15-20 seconds during every song. Sometimes it's just a brief occurrence, other times, it will garble the song for a good 5-10 seconds.

    From my tests, these are the circumstances I've tested and the results they yield:

    Playing downloaded music via Google Play Music app WITH headphones in: Music has problems

    Playing downloaded music via Google Play Music app WITHOUT headphones in: Music plays fine through the phone speaker

    Playing mp3s (not from Google Play) via 3rd party app WITH or WITHOUT headphones: Music plays fine
    OK. I get that it's not playing music well with Play Music. Is it better or the same on Power Amp?
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    Power Amp seems to play things fine, but again, I only tested it with mp3s that weren't from my Play Music library.
  10. #10  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    Quote Originally Posted by MRW1215 View Post
    Power Amp seems to play things fine, but again, I only tested it with mp3s that weren't from my Play Music library.
    Could you try those out, please? It would make it easier to determine if it's the app itself causing the problems 😃

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    I'll have to try it tomorrow morning, if you're willing to keep an eye on this topic?
  12. #12  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    Quote Originally Posted by MRW1215 View Post
    I'll have to try it tomorrow morning, if you're willing to keep an eye on this topic?
    No problem. I'll sub to the thread

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    MERCDROID likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    I'll try your suggestion in a little bit, but I also wanted to share some other info I discovered. I decided to see if the issue exists on my tablet as well, so I downloaded music via Play Music, plugged in my headphones, and the music all played fine. So it appears the issue is isolated to my phone.

    It's worth noting I root my devices and run custom ROMs/ kernels. My phone is a Verizon Galaxy S 4, and I'm running a Google Play Edition ROM from Danvdh over at XDA, along with ktoons kernel. I'll ask around in those threads on XDA and see if anyone else has the same problem and whether or not there's any solution.
  14. #14  
    sting7k's Avatar

    Posts
    559 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,605 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    What happens when you download the songs on a PC and then move them to your phone?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    What happens when you download the songs on a PC and then move them to your phone?
    Well, I have All Access, so most of the songs aren't "mine", I'm just trying to use Google's "save to device" feature so I can listen without streaming. So, of course, they don't allow you to download those songs to your PC.

    Anyway, I can't figure out how to play this downloaded music via Power Amp. Kinda figuring it's not possible, due to DRM on the music, but I tried anyway.

    Update: Based on what I've learned at XDA, it sounds like the kernel is the culprit, but I haven't yet figured out what kernel settings to change.

    I think I figured something else out, though. The downloaded music seems to play okay when the screen is on (with headphones in, via the Play Music app), but when the screen is off, it pretty much becomes "all bets are off" with how listenable the music is.
  16. #16  
    sting7k's Avatar

    Posts
    559 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,605 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    Ah Ok, not completely familiar with how full access works with downloading songs. Do you download on wifi or cellular? I wonder if the same thing happens across multiple devices. The info you got from XDA is probably on the right track.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    I always download over wi-fi, so I don't hit my data limits from Verizon.

    Like I said, I also tried to repeat the issue on my tablet, which is running a completely different custom ROM/ kernel setup, and I didn't have any issues playing the music on my tablet. So, it would appear it's definitely the way I have my custom kernel set up on my phone. Just have to figure out how to tweak it so it plays fine.
  18. #18  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    Quote Originally Posted by MRW1215 View Post
    I always download over wi-fi, so I don't hit my data limits from Verizon.

    Like I said, I also tried to repeat the issue on my tablet, which is running a completely different custom ROM/ kernel setup, and I didn't have any issues playing the music on my tablet. So, it would appear it's definitely the way I have my custom kernel set up on my phone. Just have to figure out how to tweak it so it plays fine.
    I've never heard of a kernel causing issues with music playing, especially since it seems isolated to Google Play Music.
    Not sure what else you could try in this case. I'd still suggest using a different app if nothing has changed
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Google Play Music is driving me insane...

    Have you tried streaming on WiFi rather than downloading? And if streaming still gives you issues, have you tried other things like Spotify/Rdio/Pandora (they all offer free options you can test)?

Similar Threads

  1. Sprint note 3 is stuck after root. Please help me!
    By Jason Boudinot in forum Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 01:13 AM
  2. Kindle app which is best?
    By lbabus in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 10:23 AM
  3. HTC One M8 Google Play Edition
    By Crimsonforce in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-09-2014, 08:51 PM
  4. Upload Photo Attempt Gives Me Album Covers and Unknown Stuff
    By TomBrooklyn in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-09-2014, 12:25 PM
  5. One of the few things that bug me about this tablet
    By hallux in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-09-2014, 02:28 AM

Posting Permissions