How to dfferentiate between songs from Google Play Music and songs from my personal library

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm trying to do some cleanup of MP3s on my phone and I noticed that Google Play Music is using almost 4GB on my phonne. How do I figure out which songs/albums on my device come from Google Play Music, vs the ones that come from the files I copied from my personal library?

The short answer is to llook at the file system with a file manager, but that only shows me my files. Google's files don't appear anywhere.

THanks,

L

pollix

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
In the upper left corner click on it and select my music. Touch the my music and select on my device. That will tell you what music is on your device.

Go into settings and clear cache in Google Play Music App. This should help clean up what Google Play Music has cached on your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Downloaded Google Music files aren't readily available to the user in the file manager. They're stored in an obscure directory, and the music files have coded filenames. So that's why you're not seeing them in a file manager. Pollix's suggestion to clear the app's cache in its settings is a good one, although I wonder if the app will redownload any song that you expressly selected to keep on device (as opposed to songs that may have been automatically cached because you happened to listen to them).

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
So here is what I did:

• I put a .nomedia file in the folder where I keep all my music
  • I refreshed Google Play music
  • I cleared the cache
  • I looked at the files that were left in "My Library" on my device

I found a few duplicate songs, from the same album, downloaded from Google. It looks like I have about 100 songs left. But my usage is still 3.5 GB. I compare that to one of my folders, where 94 songs at 320 kbps take up about 700 MB. So let's say I should be using 1GB of data, where does the other 2.5 GB come from?

L

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You could try Clear Data from the Settings/Apps menu. You'll have to sign back into the app when you restart it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Clearing data shouldn't be a big deal. It should repopulate its database relatively quickly.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2