Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Default a question about a Kyocera Hydro phone

I just upgraded to a ZTE 4G phone and I was thinking of giving my old Kyocera Hydro cell phone to my 9 year old nephew for a Christmas present this year to play Android games on. There is 2 things I need to do to it before I give it to him. I need to know how to disable the phone so he can't connect to any wifi (free or key locked) and he can't call 911. There is no phone service on the phone other then 911. There is wifi available on the phone if a free wireless open router is near by or a key coded closed router like ours. He is smart kid. He knows what the wireless key code is and what it is used for. His parents are adamant on that. He is not to have unsupervised access to the internet or the ability to call 911 period on that phone. I tried a hardware approach (I used to repair 2 way radios) I was going to clip the antennas inside so the phone couldn't transmit but I don't have the very small star tool to pull the screws out of it. It doesn't matter if the virtual dialing pad still works just as long as he can't reach out and touch someone.
    Any one have any ideas on this?

Steve

Default Re: a question about a Kyocera Hydro phone

You could install a launcher like Kids Place, which requires a PIN to exit out of. As long as Kids Place is the launcher, he wouldn't be able to make calls or access the settings to turn on wi-fi. If he really wanted to get around it, though, he could presumably hold the power button down long enough to force a power down, then turn the phone on again, in which case it would boot back to the normal launcher. Do you think he's that resourceful?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Yes he is a smart kid and that resourceful.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    You could install a launcher like Kids Place, which requires a PIN to exit out of. As long as Kids Place is the launcher, he wouldn't be able to make calls or access the settings to turn on wi-fi. If he really wanted to get around it, though, he could presumably hold the power button down long enough to force a power down, then turn the phone on again, in which case it would boot back to the normal launcher. Do you think he's that resourceful?

Maybe put a rom with broken wifi on it?

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    20,068 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

You can get small Torx screwdrivers at Sears for a couple of bucks each (good ones), or a cellphone repair kit that includes the screwdrivers on Amazon for under $6.

Disconnecting the antennas ... well, I guess you don't care if the bricks burn their finals out in this case.

(Note to everyone else: "brick" doesn't mean the same thing in two way radio as it does in cellphones.)