Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Deleted photos not deleting?

I have a Nexus 5 and set photos to upload automatically to G+. My "on device" photos/videos were taking up about 2.5g so I deleted them. They're in the cloud so I don't need them locally.
    Why then do pictures and videos (under "Storage") still say they are taking up 1.9g? I deleted all local items.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  2. Best Answer

A lot of those could be due to thumbnails, which may not get deleted automatically when you delete the main pic. Thumbnails on my phone take up about 500 mb, and I usually don't have a ton of photos stored locally. So if you're used to having a lot of photos on the phone, there might be a whole bunch of thumbnails that are remaining even after deleting the main pics.

The directory for thumbnails is sdcard0/DCIM/.thumbnails. You can use any file manager to navigate there and delete thumbnails as you see fit. I think the system will recreate the ones it needs.

Default Re: Deleted photos not deleting?

A lot of those could be due to thumbnails, which may not get deleted automatically when you delete the main pic. Thumbnails on my phone take up about 500 mb, and I usually don't have a ton of photos stored locally. So if you're used to having a lot of photos on the phone, there might be a whole bunch of thumbnails that are remaining even after deleting the main pics.

The directory for thumbnails is sdcard0/DCIM/.thumbnails. You can use any file manager to navigate there and delete thumbnails as you see fit. I think the system will recreate the ones it needs.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Default Re: Deleted photos not deleting?

There are also hidden pictures - usually those downloaded from websites when you're browsing. Use an app like QuickPic, go to its menu, select Show hidden, and you may see a lot more pictures.