Deleted photos not deleting?

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and set photos to upload automatically to G+. My "on device" photos/videos were taking up about 2.5g so I deleted them. They're in the cloud so I don't need them locally.
Why then do pictures and videos (under "Storage") still say they are taking up 1.9g? I deleted all local items.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A lot of those could be due to thumbnails, which may not get deleted automatically when you delete the main pic. Thumbnails on my phone take up about 500 mb, and I usually don't have a ton of photos stored locally. So if you're used to having a lot of photos on the phone, there might be a whole bunch of thumbnails that are remaining even after deleting the main pics.

The directory for thumbnails is sdcard0/DCIM/.thumbnails. You can use any file manager to navigate there and delete thumbnails as you see fit. I think the system will recreate the ones it needs.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are also hidden pictures - usually those downloaded from websites when you're browsing. Use an app like QuickPic, go to its menu, select Show hidden, and you may see a lot more pictures.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney