Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default App to replace the power button?

A couple days ago my power button quit turning off my phone. It works because it both takes screen shots and eventually powers off the phone. At the same time my volume down button quit working.

Is there a app that will let me turn my phone off?

Phone is an HTC V One if it matters. IMHO, don't buy HTC, their hardware is crap.

Global Posts
    31,633 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: App to replace the power button?

The only thing I am aware of that might work is Xposed framework (root required) and a proper module for it. Even then, there is no guarantee.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: App to replace the power button?

From what I can tell the power button does 4 things. 1) turn the phone on. 2) turn the phone off. 3) take a screenshot 4) power cycle the phone. The only thing that doesn't work is turning off the phone. If I have to I can plug the charger in to turn the phone on, but admittedly if it gets to that point buying a new phone is a priority.

A little history. I bought this phone from Amazon in 7/12. Within 2 weeks I couldn't turn the phone off. Contacted HTC, they said to send the phone to them and they'd send it back in 6-8 weeks. There was no option to expedite this. As I live alone and don't have a land line this meant no phone for 6-8 weeks. Unacceptable.

Perusing the googles I discovered my power button problem is common with HTC phones. Someone said to spray the switch with silicon lubricant, as my option was that or buying a new phone I tried it, and it worked. The button has been intermittent for 2 years, it finally failed completely last week. Spraying with lubricant no longer works, and google says the problem is much worse than it was 2 years ago.

Phone is backed up, don't care about contacts/messages, and there are no passwords on the phone. I tell everyone I know to avoid HTC phones, this phone has been crap from the second week I bought it.