Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Jacks and Adapters

I don't know much about smart phones. I'm thinking of getting a new Android. It seems like many of the smart phone jacks in cars, exercise machines, etc are made for iPhones.........and that every different model phone has its own unique sized jacks so you have to buy all new accessories with each model.

Do I have that right?

Do most android phones share the same size jacks? If not, which phones have jacks of the size most frequently found in the android world?

Are there universal adapters to make Android phones fit into iPhone jacks?

Thanks

Default Re: Jacks and Adapters

Most Android phones share the same microUSB ports (for charging and data transfer). Headphone jacks are generally the same, although there can be some minor differences in configuration between manufacturers, which can cause incompatibility for headphones that have added features (like remote control play/pause buttons).

To my knowledge, there are no universal adapters to for Android->iPhone. You see many more accessories for iPhones for a few reasons--they're popular, and there's only a few models from one manufacturer, which allows accessory makers to easily standardize. This all goes out the window, though, when Apple decides to change their standard (Lightning, anyone?).

The increasing use of Bluetooth and now NFC technology is making the whole issue of plug compatibiilty a thing of the past, though.