Phablets: how big is too big?

tinker1234

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm still on my first smart phone: a Motorla Citrus.

I don't use it much because of the tiny screen. I'm thiking of going phablet. The questions in my mind are:

How big is big enough?

How big is too big?

Which phablets will fit into most pockets( men's clothing, jeans, gym shorts, etc )?

Are most standard sized phones comfortable in size for web browsing, reading, etc?

Byron 5

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm still on my first smart phone: a Motorla Citrus.

I don't use it much because of the tiny screen. I'm thiking of going phablet. The questions in my mind are:

How big is big enough?

How big is too big?

Which phablets will fit into most pockets( men's clothing, jeans, gym shorts, etc )?

Are most standard sized phones comfortable in size for web browsing, reading, etc?

I think maximum should be 6" for a phablet. I think the Note 3 with 5.7" screen is the sweet spot.

tinker1234

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Is the 6" a diagonol measurement of the screen or the length of the entire phone?

Are you referring to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3?

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I personally like the a 6 inch screen for a phablet. I saw the Nokia Lumia 1520 and thought that screen size was perfect for a phablet. But I would only want a phone that size if I was planning on not having a tablet at all. Because I use my iPad Air, I have no need for an oversized smartphone, so now I really don't care what size phone I have.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Exactly my sentiments. But unlike you, I acted on it. That saved me roughly 500 bucks I didn't have to spend on an iPad or Tab Note...

I've done it numerous times before. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

tinker1234

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I've done it numerous times before. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

I notice you have an iPad.

I would primarly want a tablet, if I ever got one, for web browsing, email and an occasional video. I don't game and have no attachements to particular software. Why wouldn't I buy a Kindle Fire that does all of that for several hundred dollars less than an iPad?

tinker1234

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Ha. Sort of like most SUV owners never going off road. Point taken, if I wanted a second PC that mostly stayed home ( for power outages, occasional travel ) I might be better off with a lap top and smart phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a Note 3. Maybe half an inch bigger would be the largest phone I'd want. (I only got it because I couldn't read a 4" screen. Now, with cataract surgery [first one comes out tomorrow, so I'll probably be offline for a few days] I probably won't need such a large screen, but the storage and RAM (and CPU speed) are nice.

Pocket? Shirt pocket, when there's nothing else in it, and only for a minute if I need my hands free. Even with a TPU case, I don't want it falling out of the pocket. I have a swivel belt holster and that's where the phone normally sits (in the case). Pants pocket? It's too large to not be afraid of folding it in half if I sit. If I need a pocket-size phone, I have a little flip phone that still works, and I can switch the SIM over to it (with an adapter).

tinker1234

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note 3. Maybe half an inch bigger would be the largest phone I'd want. (I only got it because I couldn't read a 4" screen. Now, with cataract surgery [first one comes out tomorrow, so I'll probably be offline for a few days] I probably won't need such a large screen, but the storage and RAM (and CPU speed) are nice.

My father had that surgery a few years ago. It changed his life. He started reading again. He got into computers, bought an iMac, went to all of their classes, put up his own web site, etc. Good Luck!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon