Newbie questions about phone routing options

tinker1234

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a lame starter smart phone ( Motorola Citrus ) and a ****ty pay as you go service.

One of the things that has always stopped me from upgrading both is the monthly cost.

I currently have a VOIP (viatalk.com ) "land line" at home that comes out to about $15 a month. It occured to me that if I got rid of it and used a smart phone even the cost of the standard $50 fee for unlimited monthly data would get down to about $35 a month for me.

A friend of mine does something like that, relying on Google Talk for call routing.

If he loses his phone, his calls can get routed to his computer at home, so he doesn't lose the ability to get/send calls if he loses his phone.

To be honest, I don't want to trust Google with my calls. Are there similar services that are reliable?

At home, I like using "real phones", can a routing service send my calls to my smart phone during the day and then send them to a regular, modern, desktop office phone in the evening?

Do most smart phone services offer call routing?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a lame starter smart phone ( Motorola Citrus ) and a ****ty pay as you go service.

One of the things that has always stopped me from upgrading both is the monthly cost.

I currently have a VOIP (viatalk.com ) "land line" at home that comes out to about $15 a month. It occured to me that if I got rid of it and used a smart phone even the cost of the standard $50 fee for unlimited monthly data would get down to about $35 a month for me.

A friend of mine does something like that, relying on Google Talk for call routing.

If he loses his phone, his calls can get routed to his computer at home, so he doesn't lose the ability to get/send calls if he loses his phone.

To be honest, I don't want to trust Google with my calls. Are there similar services that are reliable?

At home, I like using "real phones", can a routing service send my calls to my smart phone during the day and then send them to a regular, modern, desktop office phone in the evening?

Do most smart phone services offer call routing?

You might be able to do this with your home phone provider. You would have to call them and see what they can do. Otherwise, I found a fair number of call forwarding apps on Play.

tinker1234

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
What is Play?

How do the apps work? Do you press a button, set preferences, to forward your calls to another number or another device after a certain time?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Play meaning the Play store. As for how they work, I don't know as I don't have a landline or a second line that needs to be forwarded.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc