Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cheapest Phablets Of Good Quality?

I don't know much about smart phones.

I have a Motorola Citrus, which is TINY.

I would like my next phone to be a phablet. I've seen some extreme prices for phablets. I don't need a zillion features, I'm mostly interested in size. What are the cheaper phablets that are still quality phones and how much should I expect to pay ( unlocked, part of a plan, etc )?

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Default Re: Cheapest Phablets Of Good Quality?

It all depends on your definition of phablet. Have you held any of the larger phones? Usable size will vary from person to person, but if you give a general impression about the size of the screen you are looking for, folks will be able to provide some worthwhile recommendations. You'll also want to let us know what carrier you are with. I think the Citrus was VZW only, and if you are still with VZW it will limit your choices pretty significantly; basically just the Note 3 or HTC One Max.

Steve
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm not with Verizon. I can go anywhere.

There really isn't much to discuss with a "phablet" if you are buying from the carrier. They all will be pretty good. The note 3 seems to be the favorite of everybody I know.

I guess if you look at what is offered by some of the hong Kong/Chinese direct outfits like deal extreme we could have a pretty interesting conversation. I have nothing to offer regarding those however.

Just a random example of the cheap knock off phones from overseas.

Maxon X-Tremer X3 Quad Core Android 4.2 WCDMA Phone w/ 5.7", 13.0 MP / 5.0 MP Camera - White - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Banned

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Check out the LG g-flex

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy13 View Post
    Check out the LG g-flex

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
    $500 - $600 is a cheaper phablet?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post
    There really isn't much to discuss with a "phablet" if you are buying from the carrier. They all will be pretty good. The note 3 seems to be the favorite of everybody I know.

I guess if you look at what is offered by some of the hong Kong/Chinese direct outfits like deal extreme we could have a pretty interesting conversation. I have nothing to offer regarding those however.

Just a random example of the cheap knock off phones from overseas.

Maxon X-Tremer X3 Quad Core Android 4.2 WCDMA Phone w/ 5.7", 13.0 MP / 5.0 MP Camera - White - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    How would I find more such cheaper phablets?

If it doesn't say "unlocked" , then it is not unlocked, correct?

Would there be language issues with phones meant for foriegn markets?

Is there a place to find reviews for such phones?

Would I be at a disadvantage in buying accessories for such phones?

Thanks

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by tinker1234 View Post
    How would I find more such cheaper phablets?

If it doesn't say "unlocked" , then it is not unlocked, correct?

Would there be language issues with phones meant for foriegn markets?

Is there a place to find reviews for such phones?

Would I be at a disadvantage in buying accessories for such phones?

Thanks

Steve
    I know very little about these. The one I linked says WCDMA and gsm. I wonder if it would work with verizon (CDMA). You certainly are not getting an LTE device. Look at the specs. 1 gig of ram is pretty minimal by todays standards. The processor speed seems acceptable.You have little idea of the build quality. I would love to get my hands on one just to see if it's even remotely usable.

The pro's would be price, zero bloatware, and I am assuming an unlocked device that can be rooted easily if it doesn't come that way. I bet there are even roms for these things.

Global Posts
    10,564 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

There are Chinese knockoffs made for the American market, but 1) The component quality is low. Shipping the phone back to China for what's a relatively simple repair isn't cheap.

The build quality isn't great. (Hold a Note 3 in your hands. Then hold a "Note 3" in your hands. You'll feel the difference.)

The insides aren't the same as the phone it claims to be. There are Note 3s that are 3G only.

If you want to root the phone, or put in a different ROM, chances are you won't find any help, because no one else has that phone. (Developers don't buy knockoffs.)

But you save $400-$500. If the phone does what you want, you never want to upgrade it (no over the air updates either) and it doesn't break, you've saved money.

I'd buy a cheaper name-brand phone over a cheap knockoff of a more expensive phone. (Can you really trust a company that illegally puts "Samsung", in the original font, on the case of a phone not made by Samsung? They're lying to you going in.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    There are Chinese knockoffs made for the American market, but 1) The component quality is low. Shipping the phone back to China for what's a relatively simple repair isn't cheap.

The build quality isn't great. (Hold a Note 3 in your hands. Then hold a "Note 3" in your hands. You'll feel the difference.)

The insides aren't the same as the phone it claims to be. There are Note 3s that are 3G only.

If you want to root the phone, or put in a different ROM, chances are you won't find any help, because no one else has that phone. (Developers don't buy knockoffs.)

But you save $400-$500. If the phone does what you want, you never want to upgrade it (no over the air updates either) and it doesn't break, you've saved money.

I'd buy a cheaper name-brand phone over a cheap knockoff of a more expensive phone. (Can you really trust a company that illegally puts "Samsung", in the original font, on the case of a phone not made by Samsung? They're lying to you going in.)
    I tend to agree with you on every point up until your last statement. I am familiar with the fakes that you are referring to. Deal Extreme is actually a fairly reputable site. Yes they are selling you knockoffs but they are not lying to you and pretending that they are made by the original manufacturer. There is the case you brought up of the "Note" phone. I could see where if you were extremely nieve you might think this was the Samsung Note series.

This particular phone looked pretty tempting to me. Mostly because of price. If it was a 4G Lte device I might just give in to my curiosity and give it a chance.
    http://www.dx.com/p/otium-z2-mtk6582...6#.U6IHqPldUeg

Of course I have an S5 and a Nexus 7 2013 so I have zero use for this but I'm just so curious. A year ago when I was rocking a Thunderbolt and no tablet this would have been worth a shot for me (if it were 4G).