Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should I port my number to Google Voice?

I used Voice a while back; at the time my primary number was ported to the service and I enjoyed the ability to use a different carriers/phones while keeping my primary number. But as I recall at the time, SMS could be tedious and MMS was a non-starter.

After getting fed up of missing pics/vids from family members (tried getting them to use another service, no luck), I ported my number to a carrier. Now, two years later, I'm considering going back to Voice. I'm about to switch carriers again and find myself missing the flexibility of using different phones easily (I'm a bit of a phone junkie and like having a couple of carriers through pre-paid plans available to play with).

So my question is this...has Voice improved at all in the last couple of years? Do the improvements made to Hangouts mitigate some of the more tedious aspects of Voice?

Thanks in advance for your input!
  2. Best Answer

If you want your calls and texts to seem to come from the Google number, it's a bit of a hassle. But it's a good way to keep your number if you change carriers, (I still have my old number, living in a different area code. I have a local Google number forwarded to the phone [and my house phone]. If I text, it's to a cellphone, which has free long distance, so it doesn't matter. (And most cellphones can keep more than 1 number for a contact, so I show up regardless of which number I'm calling/texting from if my contact has either number.)

Global Posts
    4,230 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Default Re: Should I port my number to Google Voice?

If you want your calls and texts to seem to come from the Google number, it's a bit of a hassle. But it's a good way to keep your number if you change carriers, (I still have my old number, living in a different area code. I have a local Google number forwarded to the phone [and my house phone]. If I text, it's to a cellphone, which has free long distance, so it doesn't matter. (And most cellphones can keep more than 1 number for a contact, so I show up regardless of which number I'm calling/texting from if my contact has either number.)

I could be wrong, but I believe GV is being phased out

Sent from above using Xparent Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the input, all. I'm going to port back to GV and work around the MMS stuff. I appreciate your comments.