Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By VidJunky
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 2 Post By pelon0427
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default google now and browser

After I do a search using google now and the search results show up then I click on one of the results my default browser opens (chrome) and if I push the home button to do somthing else how do I get back to that web browser? If I open chrome it is not there but if I do a new search through google now and open the same link I can see the previous tab still open. But if I open chrome it is not there. This is a new problem because a few weeks ago when I opend chrome the last page I went to would still be there now it seems like the 2 apps are not working together. Anybody know what the problem is?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    31,339 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: google now and browser

Quote Originally Posted by pelon0427 View Post
    After I do a search using google now and the search results show up then I click on one of the results my default browser opens (chrome) and if I push the home button to do somthing else how do I get back to that web browser? If I open chrome it is not there but if I do a new search through google now and open the same link I can see the previous tab still open. But if I open chrome it is not there. This is a new problem because a few weeks ago when I opend chrome the last page I went to would still be there now it seems like the 2 apps are not working together. Anybody know what the problem is?

Welcome to the forums.
    What device do you have?

It's interesting that you say it used to do this because I've never known them to work together in the way you describe. Meanwhile not knowing what device you have the simple answer is open your multitasking screen and go back to Google Now from there. It should take you back to where you left off and not cause you to initiate a new search to return. However as you've found initiating a new search creates a new tab but not until you ask for the search again.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have a Galaxy tab 3.7 model: SM-T217A

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I also have a Galaxy s4 active that still keeps the same tab but my tablet does not do it anymore.

Global Posts
    31,339 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

I also have a Galaxy s4 active that still keeps the same tab but my tablet does not do it anymore.

I agree with VidJunky. Click your recents button (the one that looks like 2 overlapped squares) and see of that brings up Chrome like you want.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

So are the two not supposed to work together and is my phone just a fluke?
    It is almost as if I have 2 chrome browsers on my tablet.

Global Posts
    31,339 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

So are the two not supposed to work together and is my phone just a fluke?
    It is almost as if I have 2 chrome browsers on my tablet.
    When I tested it, it worked the way you described. So, I am unsure about an answer.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Are you trying to get back to the page where the search results were? Remember that Google Search isn't a browser--it's only a search app. When you search using Google Search or Google Now (they're both the same app), you'll get the search results--but if you tap on one of the results, you'll open Chrome (or whichever browser you've selected as your default) to that link. This is how the Google Search app has always worked. You can always access the Google Search website‚Äč by opening Chrome and going to google.com, and doing the search from there. It might be a little slower than using the app, which is the advantage of the latter.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Let me say it this way so if I were to search for android central on the Google now app it will pull up a list of results and if i open one of the results it will open up my default browser (chrome) and to the web page. Now if I needed to do something else I would just push the home button and the tablet home screen comes up and I could open another app. Then if I wanted to go back to the web page I was on I should be able to just open chrome and it would show that last web page I was on but right now it is not doing that. When I open chrome it does not have any tabs open or even show up in the history or last tabs. But if I go back and search with Google and open the same link as before then chrome opens and the web page is displayed in a new tab of chrome but I can still see that tab from before. So it is like I have 2 chrome browsers on my tablet and I am not sure what hapend

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but are you sure there aren't two different browsers in play here? So could Google Search be automatically opening the stock Browser when you tap a link? Then, when you exit out of the stock Browser to the homescreen, and then tap Chrome, it isn't there, because the link is open in the stock Browser?

(I know that you said your default browser is Chrome, but just want to make sure that's the case.)
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Great question at least that means you do understand my problem. I did check to make sure it is chrome opening through google now. Not sure if it is a setting or something I changed.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I think I found out what the problem was. In settings on Google Now there is a "tablet search" option and opening that up shows a list of places to search and the only thing checked was chrome. I checked internet and now it works.

Thanks for all the replies.
    B. Diddy and Golfdriver97 like this.

Global Posts
    31,339 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

I think I found out what the problem was. In settings on Google Now there is a "tablet search" option and opening that up shows a list of places to search and the only thing checked was chrome. I checked internet and now it works.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Glad you got it figured out. Thanks for posting the follow up. See you around the forums.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app