Google Drive and their equivalents

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Anyone willing to share their experiences using products like Google Drive and their equivalents.

At the moment I am trying to decide if cloud computing is the way to go or just add more storage to my local device.

At the moment for me it is all experimental and I enjoy sharing results with others.

Anyone interested?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I currently use Google Drive and One Drive (used to use dropbox). I use two so that I can separate work and personal stuff to different services for me its great as I have a fair amount of files that I need to have access to at random moments. Rather save my device storage space for stuff relevant to the device and for Media I know I will access often (or just too large to be streaming over LTE)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think Google Drive works very well. I don't have to do a whole lot of document creation for my job, but when I do, Google Docs and Sheets do everything I need to do. The total integration into the Google ecosystem is a nice advantage over 3rd party clouds, making things smooth and easy. 15 GB of free space is adequate for most people, but if you need more, it doesn't cost that much--$1.99/month for 100 GB of storage is pretty competitive.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't always have access to Wi-Fi (much less secured Wi-Fi like at my house), and I'm on a capped data plan. So for me, the only cloud based stuff I do is for backups only, and only when on my home network. I prefer local storage for that reason, plus no waiting to pull something from a server. Something to consider if you're on a capped data plan and limited Wi-Fi access like me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I use Google Drive for school, mainly because it is a lot of free storage and it adds the benefit of all of my content being available to me no matter what device I'm on and no matter what OS. That's huge to me and DropBox offers a similar experience, but Google Drive has a side benefit which is that adding to it's storage capacity also increases space for free storage of photos through autobackup and space for gmail. As an Android user and a ChromeOS and Windows user, there isn't another option that's integrated as well between all 3 OS (and available on iOS as well). Dropbox and others have apps on all OS and they work, but they're not as fully tied in to other apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge