Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Need some help with serious reception issues

I have a T-Mobile Note 3 and using it on AT&T's GoPhone network. The T-Mo version of the N3 has all the frequencies of AT&T, and I can get LTE with it as well. But I usually keep it on HSPA+ because whenever I get LTE, it's always only 1 or 2 bars. I'm running the W03 SlimKat ROM (version 20), with Temasek 3.75 kernel. I've always had some reception issues with AT&T, even when I still had an unlocked Nexus 4 - dropped calls, "fake" bars (shows 4-5 bars but when calling drops to 1-2), messages not going through; but not as bad as I do now with this N3. Maybe it's the ROM/kernel combo, maybe I just haven't noticed it before. But now, in my apartment, even if my phone shows 2-4 bars, calls don't go through half the time both in and outgoing, messages rarely go through, and when I checked the HSPA+ speed right next to a window with all 5 bars, I was getting a 198 ping, 0.2 Mb down and 0.07 up!

My preferred network type is set to GSM/WCDMA auto or GSM/WCDMA preferred (doesn't seem to make a difference between the two). APN settings are standard AT&T phone settings:
    ATT phone
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri

So, since the phone is technically capable of the running on AT&T's network (has all the bands), and APN settings are standard, could it be the ROM/kernel combo? Although I did have these issues, though not as bad, with CM11 nightly and whatever stock ROM it came with, and Darthstalker ROM before that. So any help would be greatly appreciated!

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Default Re: Need some help with serious reception issues

The modem (one of the files in the ROM) determines how the phone works. If they all use the same modem, and that's the problem, they'll all give you the same problem.

There's a post on XDA with the various modems from MI1 to NC2. Try them and see which gives you the best result.