Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rukbat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default too many choices not sure what to get

Just a little question “honest”

I currently own a 16 GB iphone 4s which I need to get rid of and move back to android, the question is which android phone?
    I had almost decided to go with one of the new phones (m8, s5, g3, z2) but I’m not convinced I want to spend that amount of money on those phones. None of them grab my attention for differing reasons and so I’ve decided to go for an older phone that will hopefully suit my needs at a lower price for the time being until something comes out that warrants the large expenditure.

The trouble is I can’t decide what fits. What I’m after in general is better than the 4s i.e.

Battery life
    Camera
    Dnla (to share with my TV)
    And more memory as 16 GB just won’t do anymore.
    Any help deciding would be great.
    Phones I’ve considered moto x (if I can get 32 GB) quite cheap and seems powerful enough
    S4 although more expensive than moto x (nice if I could get snapdragon 800)
    Lg g2 would be my choice if I could get 32 GB but struggling (nice snapdragon 800 decent camera)
    Any help any more choices please before my head explodes

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Default Re: too many choices not sure what to get

Quote Originally Posted by tbgjlb View Post
    Battery life
    Android isn't great on batteries, but there are ways to increase the life on any phone - Greenify, Better Batttery Stats, etc. Search the web for information - there's just too much to present in one post. There are sites devoted to just one or two methods.

Camera
    They all come with cameras. If you want something like the Nokia 42mpx camera, you're not going to get it. But 35mm film is about 174mpx resolution, so no digital camera on the market today can come even close. (And to match a professional shotting 2-1/2" film, you'd need about 1,400mpx.) So consider that you're going to use the camera for snapshots, not studio photography. Even a professional, shooting ads in a studio with a digital camera, isn't going to blow the shot up to 10 feet wide. (Kodak has slides in Grand Central Station in NYC that look pretty good from where you can see them - about 50 feet away, down on the floor. (They're mounted on a balcony up near the ceiling.) They're huge - feet by feet. And the resolution doesn't look much different than a slide you'd dhow in your living room. Get up on that balcony and look at the slides from a couple of feet away and you'll see how terrible they are. Grainy doesn't begin to describe it. The resolution of the camera needed depends on what you're going to do with the picture. Post it on Facebook? The web is about 75dpi - pretty coarse. /You don't need a 10mpx camera to do that.

If you want really fine pictures, buy a good Canon or Fuji camera.

Dnla (to share with my TV)
    There are many of them. Narrow down the choice, then check the specs on he ones you've decided on. (Most of the time, you'll only be able to see media [pictures and videos] anyway. If you want to mirror the screen, get a Samsung phone and a Samsung TV. Otherwise, all your TV needs is DLNA capability (or an HDMI input and a DLNA adapter with HRMI output.)

And more memory as 16 GB just won’t do anymore.
    A 32GB camera and cheap? Swappa About the only other way is a cheap Chinese knockoff (you can get a 32GB "Note 3" (it even has the Samsung logo on the case) for about $200-$300. But it's not really a Note 3, and many of them come with about 4GB of user storage available.

Phones I’ve considered moto x (if I can get 32 GB) quite cheap and seems powerful enough
    S4 although more expensive than moto x (nice if I could get snapdragon 800)
    Lg g2 would be my choice if I could get 32 GB but struggling (nice snapdragon 800 decent camera)
    1) I'd never buy a camera without a user-replaceable battery. IF the battery starts overheating, it's fast to rip the back off and toss the battery. If you can't do that you toss the phone. The difference is in the cost - replacing a bad battery is a lot cheaper than replacing a phone. (Lithium can, under the right [wrong?] conditions, explode. With enough force to remove your leg at the hip. Just ask Sony about the fires they had to put out - literally - when batteries in Sony phones caught fire a few years ago.)

2) I'd never buy a phone without an external SD card. Why waste precious internal storage on videos, pictures and music?

3) consider the size of the screen and the size of the phone. I'm not one who uses a phone single-handed, but if you are, a large phone is difficult to handle. OTOH, if your vision isn't up to par, a small screen is painful (literally). Not only eyestrain, but you stare, your eyes dry out and start producing floods of tears.

You're really asking for the best flavor if ice cream - it's a very personal decision and all I can do is give you my feelings - you'll still have to weigh the factors that are important to you and make the final decision.
    TeritorialDemon likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for your thoughts. I know its a big ask but nothing stands out for me and the ones that do are difficult to get. I'm just looking for some inspiration. S4 would seem to be a decent replacement for 4s but id rather have a snapdragon 800 instead of the 600 but I suppose choices will need to be made. At some point.

Posted via Android Central App

Are you in the US? I think US G2s are 32 GB.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Sorry I should maybe have said. I'm in the UK

Posted via Android Central App