Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Change default SMS apps

Hi everyone, I recently got an Alcatel Idol X+ and I'm using aviate launcher in the alcatel stock rom with android 4.2.2, and I don't plan to root.

- I want to use hangouts as my default SMS app but the SMS app set as default is alcatel's own sms app. When I get a new SMS I get a lock screen notification from alcatel's app and and one from hangouts in the notification bar. I want to set hangouts as my default app, get lock screen notifications from it and to stop getting notifications from alcatel's app. I have searched in google and tried going into settings but there is no SMS tab, and I can't see the app options neither in alcatel's app neither in hangouts. How can I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Change default SMS apps

Quote Originally Posted by Mistery Client View Post
    Hi everyone, I recently got an Alcatel Idol X+ and I'm using aviate launcher in the alcatel stock rom with android 4.2.2, and I don't plan to root.

- I want to use hangouts as my default SMS app but the SMS app set as default is alcatel's own sms app. When I get a new SMS I get a lock screen notification from alcatel's app and and one from hangouts in the notification bar. I want to set hangouts as my default app, get lock screen notifications from it and to stop getting notifications from alcatel's app. I have searched in google and tried going into settings but there is no SMS tab, and I can't see the app options neither in alcatel's app neither in hangouts. How can I do this?

Thanks in advance.
    Unfortunately it wasn't quite as easy to change your stock SMS app in 4.2. 4.4 was when they really made it a simple switch.

I'm not familiar with Alcatel's software, but what you want to do is go into their SMS app and disable notifications. Most SMS applications allow that, but if this one does not you can go into Settings -> Apps -> (name of SMS app) and uncheck "Show notifications."

Lockscreen notifications are a bit trickier because that's probably part of Alcatel's software. Stock Android does not have this functionality.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Change default SMS apps

Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    Unfortunately it wasn't quite as easy to change your stock SMS app in 4.2. 4.4 was when they really made it a simple switch.

I'm not familiar with Alcatel's software, but what you want to do is go into their SMS app and disable notifications. Most SMS applications allow that, but if this one does not you can go into Settings -> Apps -> (name of SMS app) and uncheck "Show notifications."

Lockscreen notifications are a bit trickier because that's probably part of Alcatel's software. Stock Android does not have this functionality.
    Thanks! That did the trick and also allowed me to reset the app as default for SMS.