Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default MetroPCS and the LG Optimus F6

I'm thinking of getting a new phone and plan.

I'm looking at the MetroPCS $40 a month plan that gives 500 mb of data, unthrottled and unlimited everything else. I'm also looking at getting "their" LG Optimus F6, only $95. I have questions about both.

I've heard that with the MetroPCS $40 a month plan, when you use data in excess of 500 MB, the speed gets slowed down. How slow are we talking about? Enough to disable a voice opearted Google search? Enough to make a web page load painfully slow? Enough to bollux up a GPS app?

I've also read that the LG Optimus F6 is low on internal memory. How expensive would it be to buy more memory for it?

Thanks much

Default Re: MetroPCS and the LG Optimus F6

MetroPCS unfortunately doesn't provide their actual throttled speeds, they just say it is throttled to "average network" speeds. Some people report never getting throttled, others report being throttled to 56kbps. I would say get a plan that has enough high-speed data for your usage and don't rely on throttled data to be usable.

The Optimus F6 only has 4GB of internal storage. The big issue is that your system as well as your installed applications all eat into that 4GB. Some applications will allow you to store additional data to your SD card, but many need to be installed fully to the internal storage. A 32GB MicroSD card is only $20, but it is typically only usable for media (music, movies, photos, etc...). If you plan on installing a lot of applications, or even a few large applications, you'd be out of luck. The only budget phone I'd really recommend would be the Moto G LTE. It's $220, which is a significant jump from $100, but you get a much better display and processor plus 8GB of storage instead of 4GB.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tinker1234 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a new phone and plan.

I'm looking at the MetroPCS $40 a month plan that gives 500 mb of data, unthrottled and unlimited everything else. I'm also looking at getting "their" LG Optimus F6, only $95. I have questions about both.

I've heard that with the MetroPCS $40 a month plan, when you use data in excess of 500 MB, the speed gets slowed down. How slow are we talking about? Enough to disable a voice opearted Google search? Enough to make a web page load painfully slow? Enough to bollux up a GPS app?

I've also read that the LG Optimus F6 is low on internal memory. How expensive would it be to buy more memory for it?

Thanks much
    You should take a look at the Moto G with LTE. It is a much better phone and it comes unlocked. It is $220, but worth it over an F6.

You should also look at StraightTalk instead of MetroPCS. StraightTalk operates on AT&T's network, which is much better than T-Mobile's, which is the network MetroPCS uses.

StraighTalk is $45 a month, but you get unlimited talk and text with 3GB of LTE data. After that, speeds are slowed; probably to 2G speeds. To get a better network and 2.5GB more data for $5 more per month, it's worth the $5.

On MetroPCS, after 500MB your speeds will probably be slowed to 2G or slower speeds.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

Accidentally double posted.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the informative post!