Fix for Market apps not downloading or installing (image warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
This is starting to become a big issue, so it's high time we whipped up a how-to about the permanent fix for the problem of the Market hanging during download or installation of apps.

I'm sure that there are other reasons this could happen, but the following should fix it for most users. It's not nearly as hard as it looks, and I'll try to toss some images in to help keep things clear.

What's happening
Since Froyo came along, we now have an encrypted folder on the SD card for application installation. I'm not 100% sure why or how, but the folder seems to be fouling up for a lot of folks. When certain apps are coded to be installed to the SD card by default (Angry Birds anyone), if your folder is wonky, it won't work. There's two fixes -- an easy, temporary fix, and a more involved semi-permanent fix.

The Easy Fix
When you try to install an app from the Market that won;t download or hangs at the installation, cancel the install. Then, on your phone, press menu--> settings --> SD & Phone storage. You'll see this:

iw117q.png

Select the Unmount SD card option, then install your application. After it's installed, you can go back and Mount the SD card, or reboot.

The more permanent fix
While it's not too hard, if you're like me you get tired of doing things more than once. Here's a semi-permanent fix (semi because the folder can get all wonky again).

Open the Manage Applications screen (menu --> settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications) and select the far right tab that says "On SD card"

2ihnqs7.png

One by one, select each application and move it back to your phone's storage using the "Move to Phone" button.

121wqxs.png

Yes, it's tedious, but it's worth it in the end.

Once you have all your applications moved off the SD card and onto the phone's internal storage, open up your file manager (Astro is a good one if you don't already have a favorite, I'm using the open source file manager built into CyanogenMod in the example -- but they should all look very similar) and look for a folder named .android_secure.

119nhpl.png

This is the encrypted folder where all your applications used to be. Delete it. As long as you have moved all your apps back to the phone storage, nothing in that folder is needed for anything.

Reboot your phone. After it restarts, go back and place your applications back on the SD card. You should now be able to download and install apps that need to use the SD card again.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
What's happening
Since Froyo came along, we now have an encrypted folder on the SD card for application installation. I'm not 100% sure why or how, but the folder seems to be fouling up for a lot of folks. When certain apps are coded to be installed to the SD card by default (Angry Birds anyone), if your folder is wonky, it won't work. There's two fixes -- an easy, temporary fix, and a more involved semi-permanent fix.

So this doesn't apply to any other OS versions? I'm on Eclair and I have this problem sometimes.

Edit: I'm guessing not since Eclair doesn't have App2SD :(

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The "more permanent" fix presumes you actually have enough room on your phone to move them back to the phone.

Those phones with enough room wouldn't need to be moving to SD in the first place. So its a catch 22.

You can just as well uninstall these apps in the SD folder, as most apps store settings and working data somewhere else, and you can often re-install them after deleting the .android-secure folder and with virutally no re-configuring. They pick up where they left off.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I've had this problem a lot lately along with low disk space warnings and yesterday morning all my apps on my SD card decided to disappear along with any app updates I had done.. I wonder if deleting this folder would have been a fix vs a full factory reset?..

tasi

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
There's an easier way if you have root

Open a terminal app on your phone and enter the following commands

Code:
su
rm /mnt/secure/asec/smdl2tmp1.asec

Found this fix on XDA-Developers.com, that site is a God send!

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Open a terminal app on your phone and enter the following commands

Code:
su
rm /mnt/secure/asec/smdl2tmp1.asec

Found this fix on XDA-Developers.com, that site is a God send!

Registered just to back this up. Found this a couple days ago elsewhere. Simple and just took a minute.

I assume you have to be rooted to do this (I am) with the "su" command, but if you aren't you can just mount to USB and navigate on your computer to that folder to delete the file. It will not show up in a file explorer on the phone for some reason.

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I have seen this problem and have gotten around it by going to: MANAGE. APPLICATIONS. From there I just delete the data for. Market and sign back in. Some times I have to tell it to auto update again but it's much less time consuming than other methods I've tried.

EKFone1

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I also had the problem on my HTC Desire with Froyo. Same solution as screamingmouse above: Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Market > Clear data & Clear cache.

Sorted out the problem for me.

You might have to uninstall the app(s) before following this procedure (they may still show "installing" after uninstall) and re-install afterward, but ymmv.

DaSpitter

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
clearing the Market cache

Hey guys...screamingmouse from above and a few others...if you clear the cache from the Market app in the manage application settings...will it still show your old purchased apps that you don't currently have downloaded on your phone or will it "forget" that you have "purchased" those apps?

Jonathan

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm also not rooted and receive the error when trying to delete this file.

Anyone find a solution to delete this file for users who aren't rooted?

brian450r

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm also having problems with this on my Droid 2. Spent over an hour at tech on Saturday before he finally said eff it & sent me a new phone. I'm still having problems downloading certain apps unless I unmount my sd card. Has anyone tried formatting the card? I left the office late last night & didn't have a chance to back up my files to try it

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys...screamingmouse from above and a few others...if you clear the cache from the Market app in the manage application settings...will it still show your old purchased apps that you don't currently have downloaded on your phone or will it "forget" that you have "purchased" those apps?

Jonathan

The purchased App is linked to your Google account, not the Market. So yes they will still be there :cool: ! I also use the same method when mine will not download, clear the cache and data and then reboot...Tedious but it usually works.

FictionWeLive

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I really hope someone can help me. I have an Incredible running hboot 0.92 and radio 2.15.00.09.01. I have tried this with 10+ different CM6 nightlies as well as CM6.0.2. I have formatted my SD Card 2 times and even tried 2 different cards. No matter what method I try to do, my apps always hang on installing. I have deleted .android_secure 15 times, many different ways. When I go into all applications and click Market, it says calculating forever. So it will not let me clear cache. I can only clear data and force stop, which I've tried. I am desperate to get this fixed as my phone is nearly useless without it.

P.S. Also tried with ShadowRom 0.2.1... same issues.

Thanks to all who offer help!

Status
Not open for further replies.