How to get rid of thumbnail data file? (Samsung galaxy s4)

anon(7887939)

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I own a samsung galaxy s4 i9505 and in my DCIM folder there is a hidden file named .thumbnails and within it there are several thumbnails and usually 2 files named thumbnaildata3 followed by a set of numbers that I think change every now and then. These thumbnaildata3 files are huge at 3.5 gigabytes a piece and I was wondering why are they so large and how do I get rid of them once and for all because no matter how often I delete them they come back.
Thank you so much for any help you can offer

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Devices need to set up thumbnail databases in order to show your Gallery thumbnails quickly. If you have a lot of photos in your web albums (i.e., Google+ Photos), then the system needs to create a thumbnail for each of them. I'm not sure if the thumbnails simply accumulate, even after you've deleted the main photo. You could try going to the App Manager, selecting Gallery, and Clear Cache/Clear Data. When you open Gallery again, it will repopulate with your photos, but maybe the thumbnails file will have been erased and recreated, perhaps a little smaller this time.

Nobdoy Atall

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
I own a samsung galaxy s4 i9505 and in my DCIM folder there is a hidden file named .thumbnails and within it there are several thumbnails and usually 2 files named thumbnaildata3 followed by a set of numbers that I think change every now and then. These thumbnaildata3 files are huge at 3.5 gigabytes a piece and I was wondering why are they so large and how do I get rid of them once and for all because no matter how often I delete them they come back.
Thank you so much for any help you can offer

I just got off the phone with samsung for this issue. They had no answer. Im thinking create a blank file called .nomedia in the root of your media folders, it wont be checking for files of those subfolders unless you show hidden in the media file manager programs.