[GUIDE] How To Post Screenshots on Android Central

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
[Updated 9/6/17]

If you've ever asked a question on these forums about some issue you were having on your device, chances are one of us asked you to post a screenshot. Here's how to do it.

Taking a Screenshot
This can vary slightly between devices, and typically requires Android 4.0 or above. The standard way on most Android devices is to press and hold the Power and Vol Down buttons for about half a second. (On Samsung devices, it's Power and Home, or you can do a palm swipe: How to take a screenshot with a Samsung Galaxy S4 | Android Central.) You should hear a camera shutter tone, and the current screen image will show as having been captured. The image is stored in the directory /storage/sdcard0/Pictures/Screenshots (not the DCIM/Camera folder), but it should be readily viewable in the Gallery or Photos app.

A newer option is to use Google Screen Search (previously known as Google Now On Tap). Press and hold Home to bring up Screen Search, then tap the Share button (the right of the G icon). This will create a screenshot that you can then share or upload. (I'm not sure if it's possible to save screenshots to local internal storage using this method -- if it's not, then upload the image to Google Drive.)

ontap.jpg

Posting a Screenshot Using the Android Central App
If you're using the main Android Central app (the one with news, videos, reviews, etc.), posting the screenshot is easy. Just start a new post, and when you want to post the screenshot, tap the paperclip icon at the top:

ACupload.jpg

You will then see the images on your device that you can post. Select the screenshot that you want, and you're done! NOTE: It seems that you can only attach photos when you're creating a new thread. There's no way to attach an image in a reply right now. I have sent a request to our tech people to see if this can be added.

Posting a Screenshot Using the Android Central Forums App (Tapatalk-Based)
If you're using the Tapatalk-based Android Central Forums app, start a new post, then tap either the image or the paperclip icon. You will then be prompted to select Gallery or Camera. Pick Gallery, then select your screenshot. (The Camera option lets you snap a photo at that moment and then attach it.)

tapatalk.jpg

By the way, I'm not quite sure what the difference is between the image and paperclip icons -- I tested both, and they both post images the same way.

Posting a Screenshot Using the Android Central Website (on a Computer)

If you're browsing the forums on your computer, you'll need to transfer the screenshot from your device to your computer. There are two easy ways to do this:
  1. Connect your device to your computer via USB cable, and make sure the USB connection is set to MTP/File Transfer. On your computer, open the file manager (Windows Explorer for a PC), select the device, and look for the /Pictures/Screenshots folder. Drag and drop the screenshot image file to your computer's hard drive. OR ...
  2. Upload the screenshot from your device to a cloud service like Google Drive. Open your Gallery or Photos app, select the screenshot, and tap the Share button (circled in the image below left). You can then select Google Drive or whatever cloud storage you use.
upload.jpg share.jpg
On your computer, you can then go to your Google Drive site (drive.google.com), select the image, and click on the Download button.​

Once you have the screenshot file on your computer, you can embed it in your post. In the post editor, click on the Insert Image button.

Screenshot 2014-07-21 at 3.png

Select "From Computer" and click on "Select Files."

Screenshot 2014-07-21 at 3.15.45 PM.png

Once you select the image files you want to upload, click on the Upload Files button, and the images will appear in your post.

[NOTE]The Android Central forums mobile website (as opposed to the full desktop site) doesn't let you attach images. If you're on your mobile device, it will be much easier to use one of the apps to post an image.[/NOTE]

[Note added by belodion 18th Jan. 2020: See also this post by @Thud Hardsmack for posting via a mobile browser: https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=6724059]

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Post Screenshots on Android Central [WIP]

Addendum

If you're experienced with attaching images to your posts on this site, you may have encountered an odd bit of behavior if you edit your post and subsequently delete an image. The image will disappear from the main body of the post (where it was initially), but will then appear as a separate attachment below the main body of the post. Here's how to get rid of it.

Let's say this was your original post, with two images attached.

image1.png

Now, if you edit this post and delete the lower image (by simply backspacing over it), the image will be gone from the post -- but after saving the edit, you'll suddenly see that deleted image as a separate attachment (with the header "Attached Images") that follows the post.

image2.png

To get rid of that image completely, you need to first click on the Edit Post button, and then the Go Advanced button.

image3.png

This will bring you to an option to Manage Attachments -- click on that button.

image4.png

You will see a window pop up with all images you've uploaded to your posts (not just this one). In the lower part of that window will be images that were uploaded to this specific post. If you hover the cursor over the image that you wanted to delete, an X will appear in its corner.

image5.png

Click on that X, and the image will be completely removed from the post. Now click on the "Done" button in the popup window, and then the "Save Changes" button, and your post will appear as you wanted it to!

image6.png

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Editing or censoring private information on screenshots before posting:

Option 1 - get a Samsung Note series
Option 2 - A method to quickly brush over information with the Gallery editing options:

Select screenshot - Edit icon (pencil) - Crop (3rd tab) - Draw - select color - 3 dot color palette, reduce transparency with bottom slider, tick yes - brush over area with a finger, correct with Clear on the Color drop down menu - Save and Exit.

Delete original unedited screenshot, if appropriate.

This is the way I found on a stock Moto G Gallery app.
If there are easier methods, please add.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
f68369f721a66693df25bbde53a8c9dc.jpg
b9ecd2dcb8aa472042f6b365c0d87a61.jpg
00143d0be24bfb6bb6ca894e05dcbd2c.jpg
517fbbd09714a2c84577e4706754c835.jpg
329f38ead5cd5543e32d464f42b9862e.jpg
6078f0cce1f6eaa28221f8460e209937.jpg
4b94d6e0991630c2645842701885d1c3.jpg
0bf414b628fb789a70a2febbfdcb34f9.jpg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If there are easier methods, please add.
Copy the picture to a PC. Edit it. (Use something like Paint.net on a PC - great free picture editor.) You can "marker" over personal data, erase it into the background, blur it beyond recognition - there are a lot more effects in PC picture editing programs than in almost any phone app. Then either copy the picture back to the phone for upload or do the whole thing from the PC - connect to the forum, reply to the post, upload the picture, etc. Transferring a dozen pictures to the PC is just select-drag-drop. I think it's easier using a mouse, a better editor and a larger screen.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Copy the picture to a PC. Edit it. (Use something like Paint.net on a PC - great free picture editor.) You can "marker" over personal data, erase it into the background, blur it beyond recognition - there are a lot more effects in PC picture editing programs than in almost any phone app. Then either copy the picture back to the phone for upload or do the whole thing from the PC - connect to the forum, reply to the post, upload the picture, etc. Transferring a dozen pictures to the PC is just select-drag-drop. I think it's easier using a mouse, a better editor and a larger screen.

Can't edit a mistake. That leaves me out. :mad::(

Last edited by a moderator:

TheEdge65

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I can't post to the forums from the AC app v2.0 on my Nexus 5X, I get "you are not logged in (I am) or you do not have permission to do this action" ? Also I can't upload pictures, I get, "Could not upload attachment". Any ideas anyone?

cherylpedal

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
I can't add screen shots on my Android phone. I only have my mobile device and no access to a computer. Also my phone is full and I can't even update apps, I could definitely not add another app. Is there some way to do my screen shots to show my file manager and the question marks I ask about in an earlier post in ZRE other Android brands

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234