Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SOLVED / Play "This item isn't available in your country" - but I'm in the USA

I have a Nexus 5 with latest 4.4.4 and google play won't let me download my bank app. I understand that this is to protect us all from foreign hackers, but I am here in the USA. This phone was purchased in Canada and I go back and forth.

I have tried the vpn hacks (psiphon, and vpn1click) without any success. I also tried the manual proxy method. Problem is that I am here in the USA on USA wifi and it still won't work.

How do I move my google play account to the USA permanently??
    Banned

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Default Re: Play "This item isn't available in your country" - but I'm in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Radbourne View Post
    This phone was purchased in Canada
    That is of course the cause.

How do I move my google play account to the USA permanently??
    Buy a phone in the USA.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Play "This item isn't available in your country" - but I'm in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Indoler View Post
    That is of course the cause.

Buy a phone in the USA.
    Is it the phone, or the google play account that matters.

Even if I buy a new Nexus 5 or soon Nexus 6 in the USA, and link it to my google play account, won't it inherit Canadian limitations from my play account?

Try contacting the bank directly and see if they can provide an alternative download option outside of Play. Sometimes developers will do that.
    Banned

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Radbourne View Post
    Is it the phone, or the google play account that matters.
    It's both, the combination.

Even if I buy a new Nexus 5 or soon Nexus 6 in the USA, and link it to my google play account, won't it inherit Canadian limitations from my play account?
    Wouldn't surprise me. So, in your place, I would start a new Gmail account with a new US bought phone.

Oh, and set it all up while you are in the US...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    Try contacting the bank directly and see if they can provide an alternative download option outside of Play. Sometimes developers will do that.
    Bank of America claims there is a risk providing the link to the apk file. They won't do it. They suggested getting the region of my play account changed. I guess I'll be on hold for awhile with Google...
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Here is what you have to do to fix this error. You only need to change the region in your Play account, but its not straightforward. Google Play tech support laid out the following way to change your Google Play region to the USA.

Using a browser on your computer or laptop go to "play.google.com" and login with the email address linked to your play account
    1. In Google Wallet change your address to a US one.
    2. In Google Wallet delete all your payment methods and add a USA credit card with a USA billing address.
    3. NOW here is the Open Sesame Code....
    4. In Google Play create an order for anything but do not complete the purchase.
    5. At the final "Approve your order screen", STOP, an leave this screen up for at least 30 minutes. Do not complete the purchase.
    6. Clear your browser cache.
    7. Now your Google Play account will not stop you from downloading USA specific content.

Global Posts
    6,106 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

There's a much easier way. Have someone with a US phone install the app, then back it up with an app (like App Backup & Restore) that backs up to apk files. Transfer that apk file to your phone and run it. It'll install the app.

Thumbs up Re: SOLVED / Play "This item isn't available in your country" - but I'm in the USA

Thanks much... this solved my problem. Neither VPN's, hacks, other steps have helped me .
    I am now able to download Bank and financial apps I was not able to use now that I relocated to the US.
    You are a freakin' magician.