Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Using Android SIM card in iPhone4

My Nexus 4 got very wet in the recent storms and is not currently working. I have placed it in a bowl of rice and crossed my fingers. Since I need a smart phone I dug out my old iPhone4 (both O2). I have put the SIM card into the iPhone4. I am able to make calls, sent text messages and connect to the internet when using WiFi but when I try to use 3G it does not work. The error message is as follows:

"Could not activate mobile data network
    You are not subscribed to a mobile date service,"

I read on a website that it should start working if I sync the phone with iTunes with the new SIM in it. I have tried this and it does not work, same error message. Can anyone offer advice please?

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Using Android SIM card in iPhone4

Quote Originally Posted by Anna W View Post
    My Nexus 4 got very wet in the recent storms and is not currently working. I have placed it in a bowl of rice and crossed my fingers. Since I need a smart phone I dug out my old iPhone4 (both O2). I have put the SIM card into the iPhone4. I am able to make calls, sent text messages and connect to the internet when using WiFi but when I try to use 3G it does not work. The error message is as follows:

"Could not activate mobile data network
    You are not subscribed to a mobile date service,"

I read on a website that it should start working if I sync the phone with iTunes with the new SIM in it. I have tried this and it does not work, same error message. Can anyone offer advice please?
    I believe you have a damaged sim card as a result of the water - contact the carrier to have it replaced.
    Thanked by:
    Anna W 

Global Posts
    5,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Default Re: Using Android SIM card in iPhone4

Also (and it's too late now), read Wet Phone Putting a wet phone into rice only puts off the inevitable - a non-working phone. Rice absorbs water. (Silica Gel does a much better hob.) But the thing that ruins the phone isn't the water, unless the phone is turned on (IOW, has the battery still in it) when it's wet - it's the impurities in the water that cause shorts and etch the copper off the motherboard and the wires out of their insulation. It's not enough to remove the water, you have to remove the impurities. Even if you could totally dry the phone out in a few minutes, it will eventually fail. How soon? That depends on how impure the water is. Falling into the ocean, or into a muddy pond, is a lot worse than having a glass of drinking water dumped on it, but rain is pretty dirty stuff, It's usually quite acidic, and acids, even weak ones, eventually etch copper completely off the phone. (Sulfuric acid, the most common acid in rain, and copper produce copper sulphate, which doesn't conduct electricity, it just falls off the board and fills the case with little turquoise flakes.) You may look funny doing it, but if you have to carry your phone unprotected in the rain (or use it in the rain), keep it in a zip lock plastic bag. They're pretty waterproof, and sound gets through the plastic easily.