I need some assistance with music from my Android S5 and my MacBook Pro

elykoj

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a ton of music on my Samsung S5 SD Card. I just got a new Apple MacBook Pro and i want to copy my music from the phone to the Mac , but still have on both. Is there a way i can add all of this music into my iTunes app on the laptop and play it from there on the Mac? I tried DROID NAS Wireless and had issues, I tried Android file Transfer, had issues. Next I tried DoubleTwist and tried to wireless sync but for whatever reason it wont transfer all my music over, it misses a bunch and i have too many to try and decipher what did and didnt transfer. Is there an easier way thats full proof?

also, once i figure out how to get all music on the Mac, how do I import all of it into iTunes?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you just copy your SD music folder into your Mac, and let iTunes scan that for music? If it's not porting it can be because the file format is not supported by iTunes, it's a protected file, or comes from the offline mode of an app like Spotify or All Access.

elykoj

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
i just downloaded a media convertor on my phone and scanned it, out of like 500 songs, 88 of them were .m4a files.. i converted them to .mp3 files but it keeps both files. can i safely delte the .m4a files now off my SD card since it shows the .mp3 file now as well??? so now if i transfer my sd card over to the Mac, itunes should scan and play all my music files now?
if i download a mp3 convertor from play store, could i just convert my m4a files to mp3 on my phone before i put them on my Mac ??

elykoj

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
ALSO.....i have a Samsung S5 and i only have my music(.mp3)files, photo (.jpeg)files, and my videos(.mp4)files saved to it..Although I have a **** load of files that look like 2 white sheets of paper with a series of numbers after them. If I click on the files it say, "No apps can perform this action.". what are these files and can they be safely deleted???

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
i just downloaded a media convertor on my phone and scanned it, out of like 500 songs, 88 of them were .m4a files.. i converted them to .mp3 files but it keeps both files. can i safely delte the .m4a files now off my SD card since it shows the .mp3 file now as well??? so now if i transfer my sd card over to the Mac, itunes should scan and play all my music files now?
That's right, no point in keeping both files since they're duplicates.

As for the miscellaneous files, can you post a picture? Sometimes they might be system files created by other apps. While deleting those will not break your phone (unless you're rooted, then it COULD break your phone), it will most likely cause apps to malfunction or to have data deleted from them.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

One thing to keep in mind is that converting the files from m4a to mp3 would cause quality loss.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Digital conversion doesn't lose quality in the conversion - the ten thousandth copy is an exact original of the first one. But m4a (also known as AAC - Advanced Audio Coding) is a format that supports better quality at a given bit rate than mp3. It's like making an exact black and white duplicate of a color picture. The duplicate may be pixel-for-pixel identical, but it lacks colors because black and white (the format) doesn't support color. They're both lossy encoding, but AC loses less than mp3. (zip is a lossless compression format, since even one bit lost in a program could crash the computer running it, but you can lose a lot of information in audio or video without noticing it, so almost all audio and video compression formats are lossy. If you're listening on small computer speakers you'll never notice the difference between AAC and mp3, but if you're an audiophile, audio engineer or musician, and listening with a good audio system, you probably would.)

elykoj

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
WELL, reason i wanted to convert them to .mp3 was because Apple Itunes does not play .m4a files, and i wanted to copy all my music onto my new MacBook as a backup and also just to be able to play from my laptop. Why would Apple not play a better sounding music file??
Digital conversion doesn't lose quality in the conversion - the ten thousandth copy is an exact original of the first one. But m4a (also known as AAC - Advanced Audio Coding) is a format that supports better quality at a given bit rate than mp3. It's like making an exact black and white duplicate of a color picture. The duplicate may be pixel-for-pixel identical, but it lacks colors because black and white (the format) doesn't support color. They're both lossy encoding, but AC loses less than mp3. (zip is a lossless compression format, since even one bit lost in a program could crash the computer running it, but you can lose a lot of information in audio or video without noticing it, so almost all audio and video compression formats are lossy. If you're listening on small computer speakers you'll never notice the difference between AAC and mp3, but if you're an audiophile, audio engineer or musician, and listening with a good audio system, you probably would.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch