Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Dropped Phone - Turns On, Responds - But Black Screen

Dropped my phone (S3) from about 4ft up onto a driveway. Screen was not broken. Tried to turn phone back on, but screen stays black. No backlight. It still responds to touch, as I can answer a call (from knowing where the button is).

What is it likely to be?

Default Re: Dropped Phone - Turns On, Responds - But Black Screen

Screen and/or digitizer. Bummer.
    A visit to a repair center may in your future.

Mav.

I am polymerized tree sap and you are an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Yes, screen/digitizer, we get a lot of these in for repairs. If you are a DIY kind of person, their are tutorials online and you can buy the assembly to save on going to a repair shop
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by idroidnation View Post
    Yes, screen/digitizer, we get a lot of these in for repairs. If you are a DIY kind of person, their are tutorials online and you can buy the assembly to save on going to a repair shop
    Thanks. I've replaced the glass probably about 5 times on this phone (not because I'm reckless with them- maybe I am actually- but I think mainly because the glass I get online is cheaply made).

From just a quick look, it seems like a digitizer is about $65... I'd almost rather just go through insurance at that rate.. Especially not knowing for sure that that's what the issue is. But then I'd lose everything that is in the phone.

Since it was a pretty good fall, could it be there is a connector or something that has become dislodged?

Quote Originally Posted by dollerprod View Post
    Thanks. I've replaced the glass probably about 5 times on this phone (not because I'm reckless with them- maybe I am actually- but I think mainly because the glass I get online is cheaply made).

From just a quick look, it seems like a digitizer is about $65... I'd almost rather just go through insurance at that rate.. Especially not knowing for sure that that's what the issue is. But then I'd lose everything that is in the phone.

Since it was a pretty good fall, could it be there is a connector or something that has become dislodged?
    It is possible a connector came loose, especially since you have repaired it before(Not saying you did not do a good job, but we have seen people destroy phones, especially iphones!) It is really your call, insurance you will generally get you a full refurbished phone, that may have had a cracked screen before. Their is a local ifixit type store to us who we supply iPhone lcd digitizers to and they have some kind of contract with sprint I believe or some insurance for sprint to fix the their damaged phones so they can use them for the replacements for customers with insurance and majority of the phones have cracked lcd's that they repair. Another thing to think about is if you DIY, many times you may receive a defective lcd digitizer, their is a high defect rate.