Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By raptir
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Post Is there any app for file shredding on Android phone?

I want a shredder on my Android phone to stop files to be recovered after deletion. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Is there any app for file shredding on Android phone?

I use File Expert, an app for file management on Android OS. There is a feature called File Shredder in it, by which you can do the file shredding. It is a paid feature for $0.99. You can try it.

Hope this can help you.

Is there any app for file shredding on Android phone?-file-expert.png

There's several in the play store with mixed reviews. Many people saying files were still recoverable after shedding, so I can't offer a definitive app. I know it may be a hassle, but you may want to look into a reputable computer based shredder and connect your phone to it to shred that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    There's several in the play store with mixed reviews. Many people saying files were still recoverable after shedding, so I can't offer a definitive app. I know it may be a hassle, but you may want to look into a reputable computer based shredder and connect your phone to it to shred that way.
    SSDs are not HDDs. Shredding flash memory with a tool designed for a HDD is just going to thrash the drive and burn through write cycles without actually erasing your data.

Due to wear leveling present in all new flash memory controllers, there's no way to securely erase a single file unless the flash memory manufacturer has built in a secure erase tool. If you're trying to clean a phone before selling it, go through the process to encrypt your phone's storage then do a factory reset. The data will be there but encrypted and performing the reset deletes the encryption key so it is unrecoverable.
    Rukbat likes this.

Consider me educated then. But that brings up a similar issue with computers that are now moving to SSD's, and if they have ways to securely shred a file without hurting the SSD.

For phones and computers, there's plenty of reasons for wanting to shred files once you're done with them. Encrypting and resetting before giving up your phone isn't the only time people are concerned about data security.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    Consider me educated then. But that brings up a similar issue with computers that are now moving to SSD's, and if they have ways to securely shred a file without hurting the SSD.

For phones and computers, there's plenty of reasons for wanting to shred files once you're done with them. Encrypting and resetting before giving up your phone isn't the only time people are concerned about data security.
    Yeah, I know Intel and Samsung both offer Secure Erase on all of their SSDs, but again it involves wiping the entire drive.

Right now your only option is to manage device security as a method of data security.
    Banned

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    Right now your only option is to manage device security as a method of data security.
    And what do you do with that device, and all the (recoverable) data on it, when you have decided on another device as your (new) daily driver and copied all relevant data over to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoler View Post
    And what do you do with that device, and all the (recoverable) data on it, when you have decided on another device as your (new) daily driver and copied all relevant data over to it?
    Like I said before, encrypt the device and then wipe it. That will give you a secure erase of the whole device contents. The only issue is that there's currently no way to securely erase a single file, you have to do the entire device.