Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Slim dual 2.X amp car chargers?

I've been looking around for dual 2.1/2.4A car chargers, and I'd like a slim design. The only one I've seen like that is the Scoche ReVolt 12W + 12W, which is advertised for Apple devices and may need a charge only cable for Android. I looked around on here, and most suggestions are for the Anker brand chargers, but I can't get over that extended length. It's just begging to have an arm or leg snap it off in my opinion.

I have an HTC One M8, Note 3, and GPS unit that I'd like to swap around as needed. The GPS and M8 only require 1.5A and I know stronger chargers won't charge them faster; I just figure with little price difference, I may as well go for extra flexibility and future proofing. I would have been ok with a dual 1.5A charger for just those 2 devices, but they don't exist it seems. All I found was 2.1/1A dual chargers, meaning one device would be starved and that port overworked.

So, any other suggestions? Or any feedback on the Scoche? I know their site specifically says not compatible with the S5 but does work with the S3 and 4, which makes me a little leery to try it.

Default Re: Slim dual 2.X amp car chargers?

Well, the Scoche will all but definitely need the charge only cables. I use the Anker two port charger and it is great, it will charge any two devices at full speed. It really doesn't stick out that far, and if that's sticking out too far for you then I think the Scoche is your only option.

Global Posts
    6,075 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Default Re: Slim dual 2.X amp car chargers?

As battery power density goes up, we'll need chargers that can put out more current (because phones will charge at higher rates), so car chargers that can put out more current will be coming out. (Back when the maximum charge rate was under 500mA, there was no need for a dual charger that could put out more than 1 Amp, because you couldn't use more current.)

If you really want to future-proof, buy a 12 Volt in/5 Volt out power supply that can supply as much current as you like. (50 Amps is easy to find, larger ones are available, but not common). They aren't slim and short, they sit under the seat and connect to the car battery. (The maximum you can draw from most car accessory sockets is 10 Amps and some of them are limited to even less, so the maximum 5 Volt adapter that connects to the accessory socket, neglecting efficiency, would be about 24 Amps - and that would take about 12 gauge wire for a 2 foot length of charging cable (charger to device being charged). Most zip cord (the flat wire used on lamps and such in the home) is about 16 gauge - much too small. The charging cables are going to start getting pretty thick. 4 Amps is about the most you can draw with 18 gauge wire, which is going to be a pretty thick cable. With the cables used these days - about 22 gauge - 3 Amps is pushing it (assuming that the insulation on the wire can handle the heat it's going to generate in the wire). That's 0.2 Volts dropped in the cable, which gives you a 4.8 Volt charging voltage. (And most phones will take forever to charge the battery with 4.8 Volts.)

(You can't change the laws of physics - a 4 foot run of 16 gauge copper wire - 2 feet on each of the two wires in the cable - has a resistance of 0.016 Ohms. Multiply that by the current in Amps and you get the amount of voltage dropped in the wire. Start with 5 Volts and drop half a Volt in the wire and you won't charge the phone.)