Ideas on limiting Android Use for teens?

woodcycl

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I've googled and also searched on here a bit with no luck. In general, I'd like to come up with a way, at a minimum, to disconnect the phone service and/or internet connectivity based on time of day. Or, at a minimum, just internet connectivity for our 15yr old.

We are able to do this with our wireless router and his computer/laptop. But, since the Android phone, we've found him on it late at night on school nights. So, this isn't so much a desire for parental controls and filters (although that would be nice) but more the access to the internet and/or text msg'g.

The only way I know to accomplish this presently is for him to hand the phone over to us at the same time the computer internet is turned off for his PC.

What are others doing?

Thanks,
Brian

dpperk29#AC

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Not giving their kid's Android Phone's might be a good start.

One thing you could try, but I doubt it will work very well is to put a data block on his phone and then control his Wifi use through your router as you do for his laptop. This will also prevent him from using phone during school (assuming the school's wifi is locked down). You might even be able to get out of paying for the data plan depending on how long you have been on contract.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Check with your provider. You may be able to get a web history and text transcripts sent to you regularly. It is, technically, your phone, after all. Accountability can be quite the motivator!

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
If you're tech savvy, you may want to consider Tasker. You can program the phone's activities and features to be on or off at certain times and/or locations. And I think you can then password protect those settings so they can't be changed or overridden. That would take care of texting or surfing during school, church, too late at night, etc. The more techie you are, the more it will do.

Sent from my rooted Droid Eris 2.1 (xtrSense)

woodcycl

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions ... will give Tasker a try as I'm in the industry. I'll also take a look at Verizon for the services mentioned.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Look in the Market for Mobile Nanny. It's $49.97 for a year. Remember you can cancel within 24 hours and get a refund if you want.

Sent from my rooted Droid Eris 2.1 (xtrSense)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'd set verbal limits (like no texting or emails after 10 PM), then log in to my verizon every few days and see if he's cheating. If so, take the phone for a couple of days (specify that punishment when the limits are set), and require that the phone is turned in to you every night at xx PM for 1 month.

Palm-a-PREciation

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a teen with a phone yet, but my husband and I keep the phone chargers in the kitchen....could you have his phone charger in the kitchen (or your bedroom), basically away from your teen, and have the phone go on the charger every night?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma