Do I really need to lock my phone?

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
When I bought my first and only Android device---a tablet---about a year ago, I set up the lock screen with a password right away. I intended to do the same with my phone, but I'm reconsidering.

I work at home and spend a lot of time on the computer. Therefore, I don't see myself doing any banking or other confidential/financial tasks on my phone. As far as I can anticipate now, I will be emailing, texting, phoning, and browsing the web for all sorts of reasons---weather, road conditions, maps, and areas of local interest and/or restaurants, as well as just looking up information for various other reasons. I have set up a new gmail account that will be strictly for personal use, not business and nothing confidential. I can't think of anything that would be vulnerable in this case. The worst case scenario that I can imagine would be someone sending emails or texts to people on my contact list pretending to be me. While that could be a nuisance, what long lasting harm would be done?

Am I missing something? I tend to be overly cautious in most matters, but I'm thinking I might enjoy not having to enter a password every time the screen has turned off.

motihc

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
You answered your own question by stating a worst case scenario for yourself if you left your unit unlocked. If you feel that manually entering a password everytime you have to use your unit, why not look at apps, free or otherwise, that helps you unlock your unit by other means? A voice activated password, a face recognition app could be alternatives for you. Search for it and you'll find one that will satisfy your password unlocking issue. Goodluck.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I use Perfect App Protector Pro and have a password just for apps I am concerned about. It automatically turns off the password service when I am connected to my home wifi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I would add a different alternative,
I think a pin number or a pattern would work good for you, as they are much quicker to use, and are pretty secure

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
When I bought my first and only Android device---a tablet---about a year ago, I set up the lock screen with a password right away. I intended to do the same with my phone, but I'm reconsidering.

I work at home and spend a lot of time on the computer. Therefore, I don't see myself doing any banking or other confidential/financial tasks on my phone. As far as I can anticipate now, I will be emailing, texting, phoning, and browsing the web for all sorts of reasons---weather, road conditions, maps, and areas of local interest and/or restaurants, as well as just looking up information for various other reasons. I have set up a new gmail account that will be strictly for personal use, not business and nothing confidential. I can't think of anything that would be vulnerable in this case. The worst case scenario that I can imagine would be someone sending emails or texts to people on my contact list pretending to be me. While that could be a nuisance, what long lasting harm would be done?

Am I missing something? I tend to be overly cautious in most matters, but I'm thinking I might enjoy not having to enter a password every time the screen has turned off.

Why you would want to lock your phone? You want a worst case scenario? Well, suppose someone sends ter'rist threats using your phone or identity... You could find yourself in jail for months, in court for years, financially ruined, character assassinated by the media, ostracized by your community, and you would certainly lose your livelihood.

Bad enough scenario for you?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Someone trying to hack your phone it's not going to be stopped by a pin or a pattern. I understand the lock like something to avoid petty problems in your normal life. I mean, someone taking your phone and messing with it for fun, revenge of simple ignorance (be a kid, a friend or a foe in a bar).
For that sort of things a pattern is more than enough. Make it simple in a way no much different than "slide to unlock"

Moto G from ACF

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Someone trying to hack your phone it's not going to be stopped by a pin or a pattern.

James Bond and the NSA aren't going to be stopped, correct. But your average Tom, Dlck, or Harry – or especially 'pranking' or mad teens and adolescentsare going to be stopped by a pin or pattern!

I understand the lock like something to avoid petty problems in your normal life. I mean, someone taking your phone and messing with it for fun, revenge of simple ignorance (be a kid, a friend or a foe in a bar).
For that sort of things a pattern is more than enough. Make it simple in a way no much different than "slide to unlock"

But a pin is more secure.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Sure. But he was talking about giving up any kind of security. As myself he doesn't have sensitive information in his phone. I was trying to offer an easy option FOR him and not a general rule. I think you missed that point.

Anyway. Another thing to do could be changing the time you need to unlock after sleep.

Moto G from ACF

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
he doesn't have sensitive information in his phone

Wrong, he does! His identity! To law enforcement he IS his phone. HE will be held accountable for anything that happens on that phone or that emanates from that phone. And good luck proving otherwise.

Last edited:

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate all the replies. And, yes, I am scared enough to go ahead and put a password on my phone. I also considered the fact that if someone wanted to be truly malicious they could send some kind of virus from my email, which I would feel terrible about if it affected anyone in my contacts list. I guess I was hoping that I could use remote locking or wiping of the phone before that would happen---but I don't know whether I'd be near a computer to do that right away. I have my tablet protected and it isn't that bad to have to put in a password each time. I just thought, with a phone, it might be helpful not to have to do so.

I posted this question so that someone could tell me if there were scenarios I had't anticipated that would make me want to lock the phone, and that is just what you have all provided. Thanks.

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate all the replies. And, yes, I am scared enough to go ahead and put a password on my phone. I also considered the fact that if someone wanted to be truly malicious they could send some kind of virus from my email, which I would feel terrible about if it affected anyone in my contacts list. I guess I was hoping that I could use remote locking or wiping of the phone before that would happen---but I don't know whether I'd be near a computer to do that right away. I have my tablet protected and it isn't that bad to have to put in a password each time. I just thought, with a phone, it might be helpful not to have to do so.

Absolutely! That would of course be very convenient. Saves time too.
But it is also very like leaving your front door unlocked and ajar at all hours of the night and day.
Very convenient for when you have your hands full taking the trash out. You can simply kick the door open. Don't need your hands.
But of course that convenience comes at a price: great risk. Same with your phone and tablet.
Trust me, it's not worth it.

I posted this question so that someone could tell me if there were scenarios I had't anticipated that would make me want to lock the phone, and that is just what you have all provided. Thanks.

YW. Sorry for scaring you, BTW, but I thought this is one reality you need to be aware of.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Indoler, No need for apologies. I was asking the question in case I was overlooking something and, clearly, I was overlooking a huge issue that could arise if my phone were lost or stolen. I'm grateful for this forum where so many people seem willing to take the time to help others.

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Why you would want to lock your phone? You want a worst case scenario? Well, suppose someone sends ter'rist threats using your phone or identity... You could find yourself in jail for months, in court for years, financially ruined, character assassinated by the media, ostracized by your community, and you would certainly lose your livelihood.

Bad enough scenario for you?
That's it!!! I'm wearing my tin foil hat all weekend or until they haul me away (at least I'll be safe)

Sent from my rooted Verizon galaxy s5