Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Who makes default Android browser?

Can anyone tell me who makes what's known as the default Android browser (and I don't mean Chrome)? Is it Google? I just purchased an unlocked Google Nexus 5 to use for testing mobile web applications and it only came with Chrome. I went to Google Play to see if I could download the older Android browser that comes on your typical Android phone but there are over a dozen browsers there and I'm not sure which one (if any of them) is the one I'm looking for.

Thanks.
  2. Best Answer
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

You're probably talking about the AOSP browser that was included with Android pre-KitKat. That browser was also made by Google, but there's no way (AFAIK) to install it without root or a custom ROM. As far as testing webpages with it, both Chrome and the AOSP browser run the WebKit rendering engine, so there should be next to no difference in the way the two browsers handle pages.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Default Re: Who makes default Android browser?

You're probably talking about the AOSP browser that was included with Android pre-KitKat. That browser was also made by Google, but there's no way (AFAIK) to install it without root or a custom ROM. As far as testing webpages with it, both Chrome and the AOSP browser run the WebKit rendering engine, so there should be next to no difference in the way the two browsers handle pages.

Nexus devices only come with Chrome. Other devices from other manufacturers may come with the stock Browser preinstalled, as well as Chrome. If you're looking for a nice, stripped down browser, try Now Browser: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...owser.nowbasic

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rlf57 View Post
    Can anyone tell me who makes what's known as the default Android browser (and I don't mean Chrome)? Is it Google? I just purchased an unlocked Google Nexus 5 to use for testing mobile web applications and it only came with Chrome. I went to Google Play to see if I could download the older Android browser that comes on your typical Android phone but there are over a dozen browsers there and I'm not sure which one (if any of them) is the one I'm looking for.
    Afaik the preinstalled default Android browser is a stripped Chrome browser with an adapted UI style. Made by Google.