Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Manually add to GoogleNow, or something similar

I have an issue with some of the direction Google is going. They're basically on a "trust us to handle everything automatically" kick*, that Apple does in other ways too (as in not telling me what permissions apps ask for). Today, I need to pick someone up from the airport. I know their flight number, but as we haven't emailed about it enough apparently, GoogleNow isn't telling me when I have to leave for said flight. There doesn't seem to be a way to add that to GoogleNow, unless I'm mistaken. I was wondering if anyone knew of an app that would say "given current traffic, and your location, you'd have to leave in 10 minutes" or something.

*Add to that the reason I detest Google's automatic photo stitching/objects removed. Never gets the photos I want stitched, stitched, and the objects I want removed, removed. I was told I can't manually tell it which ones, because I have to "trust Google to handle it". I'm not saying I don't trust them with data, I don't trust a computer to know "Hey bobbob1016 needs to pick someone up from the airport, lets remind him" vs "Bobbob1016 told me to remind him, I should do that".

Default Re: Manually add to GoogleNow, or something similar

Unfortunately I don't know of an alternative app, but you can make your experience much better as you learn how it picks up on different cards.

For flight status, have the person you are picking up forward you their reservation confirmation. Leave it in your inbox (or a folder that you keep for reminders) and the flight will pop up on Google Now. You can also add a flight to Google Now by searching for "flight status (flight number)" within the Google Now app.

For travel time to a destination, search for it in Google Maps and it will create a card that will stay updated with travel times. I know it will automatically give you travel time to the airport for a departing flight, but I don't know about arriving flights that you are tracking. But like I said, search for it in Google Maps and it will pop up with a card for you.

I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but I think it's the best that's currently available. It looks like Cortana, the Windows Phone digital assistant, allows you to exert a bit more fine-grained control, but I haven't actually tried it myself.