Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can GPS receiver/logger be connected via USB to android tablet?

I have a small GPS receiver / logger based on the MTK chipset, similar to products such as iBlue, Holux, Qstarz and Photomate (I have the Photomate 887). These have USB interface to allow the device to stream real-time GPS coordinates through the USB or bluetooth to a PC (or compatible camera).

Is it at all possible for an Android tablet with USB port to receive GPS data from these devices and plot your position on (some) available mapping program - to essentially turn the tablet into the equivalent of a Garmin or Tomtom (etc) GPS trip navigator?

Would an android app do the actual "talking" directly through the USB to the receiver, or is that something that the OS itself would (or must) do?

A second question is - are there any android tablets with actual GPS receivers built into them?

A third question - for an android tablet that doesn't have internal bluetooth, can bluetooth be added via USB adapter?

Global Posts
    8,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Can GPS receiver/logger be connected via USB to android tablet?

1. No, I highly doubt you can plug and play the gps feature. You'll likely need to develop an app to read the receiver data.

2. Most tablets have gps built in. You'll need a data connection for the tablet to update the map.

3. I don't think this will work, similar to the gps question above. It doesn't have the drivers to run bluetooth.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

There are many small tablets (7", 8", etc) that retail for less than $100 that don't have internal GPS or bluetooth.

But they almost always have mini-usb ports. Some even have HDMI out (to connect to TV or monitor).
    Banned

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    1. No, I highly doubt you can plug and play the gps feature. You'll likely need to develop an app to read the receiver data.

2. Most tablets have gps built in. You'll need a data connection for the tablet to update the map.

3. I don't think this will work, similar to the gps question above. It doesn't have the drivers to run bluetooth.
    ^This.

Global Posts
    8,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by a278598 View Post
    There are many small tablets (7", 8", etc) that retail for less than $100 that don't have internal GPS or bluetooth.

But they almost always have mini-usb ports. Some even have HDMI out (to connect to TV or monitor).
    Ah, OK. Unfortunately there is not a way (that I've come across) to enable GPS from another device through the tablet. There's a lot of technicalities involved that don't allow it to work without some hardware changes or writing of an App, which may be difficult to do.