Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default is there a work around....

Hi,

I have dropped my galaxy s4 and smashed the screen and glass, the phone still turns on, and connects to wifi I believe, but obviously the touch screen isn't working. When I connect it to my laptop, I see the phone icon appear, but when i double click it, it says this folder is empty...if I right click it and select import it says no photos or videos found. I thought about connecting it to my TV, but I have the swipe screen pattern security enabled, so figure this would be futile. I have all my photos backed up to dropbox, but i didn't sign my phone into Samsung link, so I can't retrieve stuff that way...what I really need are my contacts...any suggestions?

Thx

Global Posts
    8,682 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: is there a work around....

Welcome to AC
    Unfortunately, you won't be able to access any folders or files if your phone has a PIN setup. There might be a workaround if you're rooted, but I'm guessing you aren't. Did you not have your contacts synced with Google Plus either?
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Welcome to AC
    Unfortunately, you won't be able to access any folders or files if your phone has a PIN setup. There might be a workaround if you're rooted, but I'm guessing you aren't. Did you not have your contacts synced with Google Plus either?
    I don't think so, but might have done, how would I tell? where would I look please?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It seems that within samsung link I can unlock the screen, does this mean I could connect the phone to my tv? I have just unlocked the screen, and my pc is now finding all the photos on it, but that doesn't help me get my numbers lol

If you had a Gmail account linked to your phone (which you need for the play store) your contacts should be saved to your Google account. Log in to your Google account at contacts.google.com and you should be able to get your contacts back.
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I can now view all the folders on my phone via my laptop, where are the contacts stored to / saved? so I can copy them over please?

Quote Originally Posted by 55xtrail55 View Post
    I can now view all the folders on my phone via my laptop, where are the contacts stored to / saved? so I can copy them over please?
    They're not saved to the storage that's accessible via USB. I would install Kies and use that to extract your contacts.

Kies | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG

I don't know if there's any setup needed on the phone...

Check out this thread and see if it helps: A quick guide to accessing a locked phone with a cracked screen