Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to re-access Android phone images after format?

My android phone had a memory card error and asked me to format when I trying to view some images stored on the inner SD card. It also got the same problem when trying on my laptop. So, I formatted this memory card. But, that formatting process also deleted all my stored photos. Is it still possible for me to get them back? Help me, please!

Global Posts
    9,809 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Default Re: How to re-access Android phone images after format?

Unfortunately the retrieval of those photos would require very specific hardware and software tools that usually only OEMs have access to.

For future photos, I recommend using Dropbox or Google Photos to backup in case of any corruption/data loss and such.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2

Global Posts
    12,996 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

One thing you can try (it's not as easy as running an app, but it's not very difficult) is to physically mount (in an adapter) the external card into your computer (so it shows as a drive). Download PhotoRec - CGSecurity burn it to a CD, boot the computer with the CD and set it loose on the SD card. It looks for data that looks like known file types (and it "knows" just bout every picture format) and saves the data it finds to another drive (you never write to the drive you're trying to recover data from until all the recoverable data has been recovered).

If the memory chip hasn't been overwritten, and if the card allows the computer to access the memory chip, you'll recover whatever is on the card.

It can't be done by plugging the phone into the computer, so recovering the "internal SD card" (that's like "dry water" - it's semantical nonsense) isn't possible that way unless the particular phone presents the "internal SD card" to the computer as a pure disk drive. (MTP and PTP don't). There are programs that can recover deleted files, but deleting files that have been overwritten on semiconductor storage (as opposed to magnetic storage - disk drives) is like taking a picture of the car that was parked there yesterday. The data isn't there any more, so there's nothing to "recover".

As far as the OEM recovering data from an SD card, only if that particular manufacturer's card "formats" by resetting its data to show that nothing is stored on it. (Which PhotoRec can handle too.) If it formats by having each cell written to, all you're going to "recover" is the formatted memory chip - a few GB of the same value in each cell. (There are only 2 manufacturers of the chips used in the cards, but there are dozens of companies that put the chips together in the plastic housings we call SD cards, and each one uses its own firmware in the card [which is a whole computer - RAM, ROM and a controller], so there's no telling which card is formatted which way without a lot of experimentation, some of which is destructive [you have to take the card apart].)
    Thanked by:

Do you have any extra copy of these card images on another storage device? If there is, you can easily copy them all back there. But, if there is no such copy, you’d better do not add new stuffs on this phone memory card and use some professional phone card data recovery software to help you, like Recuva, 4Card Recovery or iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.
    But, next time, I hope you can learn to back up all phone card photos, videos and other information on different storage devices and update these backups timely.
    Also never format a drive or card without data backups again.

Hey! Through your phone card has been formatted and all stored photos are lost, before you write anything new on this phone memory card, you do have chances to get them all back with card recovery software.
    There are many similar programs online that can help you get all stuffs back with success. Just open google chrome and select one for your card photos.

[links removed by moderators]