Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I stream Google Play Music via WiFi?

my nexus 5 on android l will not let me stream my google play music via wifi. when trying to stream a song, it gives me the error message in the title. there is a thread somewhere about htc devices having this problem and needing to turn off wifi hotspot or battery saving mode. tried both of those on my n5 and it didn't work

i understand that i am running a dev preview that is incomplete and bound to have issues. but, i'd still like to know if anyone else has come across this issue and possibly solved it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I stream Google Play Music via WiFi?-4104.jpg  
    Thanked by:
  2. Best Answer

I'm pretty certain this is a bug in the latest version of Google Play Music, and specific to Android L only. Something is wrong with its ability to detect internet through the wifi connection since it works fine over cellular data.

I had this bug, to fix it I just uninstalled all updates. Now I can stream over wifi like normal.

Default re: How do I stream Google Play Music via WiFi?

Do other songs work? Or is it just this one song?
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

"Stream" as in send it from the phone to other devices, or as in play it on the phone? If you're trying to play it on the phone it should work no matter how you connect to the internet (unless your ISP is blocking certain content). If you're trying to use the phone as a hub so that other devices can hear the music, it's more complex - you can't do it without at least connecting the other device to the phone through some type of connection, like wifi or Bluetooth..
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

by "streaming" i mean trying to access music saved online via google play music. and no, its not just one song, it's all of my music. except for songs i just bought a few days ago when i noticed the problem. if i'm using my carrier/network, whether 3g or lte, it will stream the music fine. but when i turn wifi on, all of my music gets greyed out and unable to play. except for the music i just purchased. i am 100% sure my wifi is working as well. it should also be noted that if i revert google play music back to an earlier version by uninstalling updates, it works fine. there is an issue with the current version, or my phone just doesn't like the current version...

I'm not sure that it helps, but I can stream over WiFi using the latest Google Play Music app without issue on my Nexus 5 with 4.4.4. I assume it is an Android L specific bug.

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    by "streaming" i mean trying to access music saved online.
    Online means "on the internet", so you can't access anything online if you're not on the internet. If it lets you stream when you're on mobile data but not on wifi, try a public wifi hotspot. If it works there, your provider is doing content filtering (which probably isn't allowed if you live in a civilized country). If it doesn't work on any wifi, contact whoever you bought the phone from and let them figure it out.

Maybe there is something wrong with your IP.you can check the IP of your phone is right or wrong.And I think you can try to restart the phone.Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    Online means "on the internet", so you can't access anything online if you're not on the internet. If it lets you stream when you're on mobile data but not on wifi, try a public wifi hotspot. If it works there, your provider is doing content filtering (which probably isn't allowed if you live in a civilized country). If it doesn't work on any wifi, contact whoever you bought the phone from and let them figure it out.
    Actually, this made me think of a good thing to test. Google Music has a web player. Go to Google Play Music through your phone's browser and see if it will play. If it does, it's an issue with the app. If it doesn't, it's an issue with your connection.

Ive got the exact same problem and cant seem to find a solution. Accessing through google music web interface works perfectly fine so it must be the app to blame. When you try to play a song not pinned for offline on wifi it says "cant play this song without an internet connection"
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

mowz9 are you running the android l preview?

I'm pretty certain this is a bug in the latest version of Google Play Music, and specific to Android L only. Something is wrong with its ability to detect internet through the wifi connection since it works fine over cellular data.

I had this bug, to fix it I just uninstalled all updates. Now I can stream over wifi like normal.

Yes I was running the android L preview on my developer nexus 5 when I happened to notice it. It works perfectly on my moto X on kit kat though.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

cool. yeah, i'm experiencing the same thing as far as it working when uninstalling updates. i was just hoping someone had a solution for the current version of google play music. whelp... guess i'll just deal with it. thanks peoples

I would guess there will be an update very soon that fixes it. I'm sure all the google play music devs are testing with android L

Hey I thought I would chime in just to let you know , that I am running android L developer preview as well and I am experiencing the same problem when on Wi-Fi; so more than likely it's just an L specific bug. I came across this forum post while searching for a solution on Google, but for the time being I guess we just wait for Google to fix the bugs!

I thought I was going mad but thankfully not. I am having the same problem on my Nexus 5 running Android L as all above. I have on the same WiFi network an OPO and a Tegra Note 7 and neither of these have any issues whatsoever, so almost certainly an issue with Android L preview or at least on the Nexus 5 and Android L.
    Would be interesting to hear if any owners of the Nexus 7 running Android L are having the same problem
    Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Tegra Note 7
    Galaxy Nexus (For my Flashaholic cravings)

Quote Originally Posted by masterpfa View Post
    I thought I was going mad but thankfully not. I am having the same problem on my Nexus 5 running Android L as all above. I have on the same WiFi network an OPO and a Tegra Note 7 and neither of these have any issues whatsoever, so almost certainly an issue with Android L preview or at least on the Nexus 5 and Android L.
    Would be interesting to hear if any owners of the Nexus 7 running Android L are having the same problem
    I had this problem yesterday on my Nexus 5 with L preview and uninstalled the latest update and then proceeded to detach it from the market using titanium backup. Well I guess it didn't take because it updated again. So I uninstalled the update...again...and detached again. Restarted, looked away for about 5 minutes and it updated again! However, now it appears to be working (the updated version). Can't explain it but the latest update seems to be working now.

Same problem on android l for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

I am having the same issue . im guessing its somthing to do with the language its set up in .im in australia , and there is no aus option so im guessing some things dont work ... Like this .

Nexus 4, L port here. Have the same issues, included play music version didnt, but the most recent did.

Rolled back to 5.4 (found here: Dev-Host - Google Play Music 5.4.1409N.apk - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service). Most recent version I haven't found issues with. I can deal with the old chromecast icon and the smaller control buttons until L is released.