| || |
Hangouts: How to Delete Unwanted Confirmed Phone Numbers
I ran into trouble with this issue and found a way to resolve it. I thought I'd post here for anyone who encounters it. Note that to use SMS (texts) with Hangouts, you need to confirm your phone's telephone number in the Hangouts app settings. Once confirmed, you can receive text messages with the app.
A few months ago, I got an AT&T prepaid SIM to use while I was on Kauai. I had found out beforehand that T-Mobile doesn't have LTE or 3G data there, so I figured I'd swap SIM's while on Kauai so I'd have LTE/3G data. The AT&T SIM naturally had a different telephone number associated with it than my usual T-Mobile SIM. This wasn't much of a problem because I primarily use a Google Voice number, but I also took the extra step of confirming the AT&T number within the Hangouts app so I'd get SMS with the AT&T number.
When I got home, I put my T-Mobile SIM back in and reconfirmed its number within Hangouts. All was fine, except that I couldn't get rid of the AT&T number I had confirmed. There's simply no way to delete a confirmed number within the app at present. This would eventually become an issue too; I never intend to use that AT&T number again, but it would still be "confirmed" to my account. I had no idea what would have happen once the number is tossed back into AT&T's system and assigned to someone else.
After looking for a workaround for months, I finally found a way to delete numbers you've confirmed with the Hangouts app that you don't want there anymore. Note that the number associated with your normal SIM, the one you use everyday, should be confirmed. I'm talking about deleting old, unused, or unwanted numbers from swapping SIM's if you've confirmed them within the Hangouts app.
1. Sign in to your Google account on a computer and head to your account settings.
2. Under "Personal Info", you'll see "Email & Phone". Click "Edit".
3. You'll see all your phone numbers listed there. Click "Edit" for the one you want to delete that you had confirmed in the Hangouts app.
4. Go through the steps to remove the number permanently.
This should be enough, but I noticed that the change didn't immediately sync back to the Hangouts app on my phone. If you find that to be the case, take the additional steps below.
5. In the Hangouts app on your phone, go to settings and sign out of the account that was associated with the number you just deleted. There will be only one account unless you have multiple Google accounts.
6. Sign back in with your account. The number should be gone.
That's it. Like magic, the telephone number should be deleted.
This bothered me for months and I couldn't find a specific solution anywhere, so I thought I'd post something here for anyone having trouble. Cheers!