Travelling between time zones and calendar

spoid

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I went to Dallas (2 time zone difference) for an overnight trip and noticed that all my google calendar items had been moved by two hours. Fortunately I remembered that my flight home was indeed at 5pm, not 7pm.

I'm hoping there's some "Don'tScrewWithCalendarTimeWhenChangingTimeZones" setting somewhere. If my flight is at 5pm local time, I just put it for 5pm. I don't want to think, "OK, 5pm Dallas is 3pm Vegas." That just opens things up for errors.

Anybody know of a way to fix this?

Thanks,

-m

Glitch4583

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
From everything I've played with, its a limitation of Google Calender. There is a cool app on WebOS that tracks flights so it automatically puts in the correct time called Flightview. See if there's an equivalent of that in the Market.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Fix what?
If the return flight was for 5PM why would you assume they meant 5PM your time rather than the time at the airport you need to be at?

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
You might want to go into Menu - Settings - Date & Time and uncheck Automatic. When Automatic is checked the phone takes the time from the network and Calendar uses the time zone of the network you are in.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
You might want to go into Menu - Settings - Date & Time and uncheck Automatic. When Automatic is checked the phone takes the time from the network and Calendar uses the time zone of the network you are in.

Just discovered this issue. I'm a new (less than 2 months) Android (Moto Droid) user and didn't realize the time zone issue was such a problem until I travelled outside my home time zone.

All my appointments got moved around; I had a meeting a 1:30 pm in my destination location, which I had entered while home, and of course when the phone's time zone changed the appointment time moved, too.

I have to say that my old iPhone (which I switched from to go to the Droid) handled this way more intelligently. It has an option to enable time zone support, so it wont move your appointments around when your time zone changes.

Basically, with Google Calendar and the Droid, I've got to mentally calculate when my future appointments will be in my destination time zone and enter them in so that when the phone's time zone changes, the appointment time as displayed on my phone gets calculated correctly.

Stupid. Stupid.

Pardon me for praising Apple, but on this one, they got it right. You can basically have your calendars be time zone agnostic, where 2pm is simply 2pm wherever you are, or you can set certain events to a specific time zone. Google Calendar and Android simply cannot do this.

I've searched all the Android & Google Calendar forums and it's obvious that this is a limitation with Google - there's tons and tons of posts about this and none can offer a solution.

For a big, multinational company (that deals in multiple time zones themselves), I can't fathom how Google hasn't address this yet.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Can you set a time zone for specific appointments (ideal solution IMO and how the Blackberry handles it though most didn't realize that it existed) with the iPhone though? It sounds like you're saying it's all-or-nothing one way or the other. I definitely want my clock to change with the time zone changes.